Shocked At Sudden Aggression

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.
I’d really like some help here.
My kitty is having a dental tomorrow so she can’t eat or drink past a certain time. Since I have more than one cat, I had to set her up in my room so that the other kitty could have access to water. As soon as I put her in my room she started pacing and trying to get out even though she loves to sleep in my bed with me most nights. (But only on her terms) I was standing up to set up her litter box and she bit and clawed at my leg and left me bleeding. This is a cat who usually follows me around the house purring and loves cuddling. I don’t know what I am hoping for, I’m just baffled. I’ve had her for 8 years.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you are ok and have cleaned those wounds. I think this is re-directed aggression from being scared. While she may be used to sleeping in your room she could be freaked out by the closed door. If she is used to being around your other cat she could also be scared of being separated from her companion. Hopefully she will settle down and go to sleep once you get in bed. She has been through a big change in her routine in a short amount of time. Also if she is in pain that could explain her behavior too. Please update if you have any more aggression issues and let us know how the appointment tomorrow goes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is redirected aggression, she was frustrated at being locked up, and took it out on you. My ten year old is going through the exact same thing this Friday for a broken tooth. When my cats are going to have surgery, I just pick up the water and food, and NOONE eats. This way you keep the schedule as close to normal as possible(sleeping with you ,etc.) This usually just involves the morning meal, they will get over it. Then your little one won't feel isolated and trapped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! She totally settled in last night. Unfortunately I wouldn’t have been able to take water from the other kitty due to a health condition she has. Anyway, it ended well and I recognize that she was not too happy with having the door closed. Thank you everyone, and I’ll let you know how the procedure goes.