Shivery cat after giving birth

Hcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, first time post for me!
My cat gave birth this morning, she seemed quite surprised at what was happening and needed lots of reassurance from me and my son. It’s her first litter. She didn’t eat any of the placentas, but she cleaned the babies up and is feeding them.
My concern is that she looks like she is shivering. I know that when I gave birth I was so tired that I was pretty shaky, and as she seemed a bit overwhelmed I’m wondering if this is normal , and she just needs a bit of rest and nutrition, or if it could become an issue? Maybe because she didn’t eat the placentas she missed out on some good vitamins and stuff?
I’ve given her a lick of corn syrup, some lik e lik sachets, and she’s had a small bowl of food. I’ve also covered her over in case she’s just a bit chilly.
Anyone else noticed this after their cat delivered? She won’t stand up because she won’t leave her kittens, but she seems quite happy in herself.

any advice?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is low on calcium from giving birth I would bet. Give her some goat's milk or kitten replacement milk, NO cow's milk which most cats after they are grown have an intolerance to. The kitten replacement milk would be a good thing to build her back up too. This wouldn't hurt just in case it is hypocalcemia. It may be that she is just that weak from the labor too. She may be a little exhausted from all the work. Give her plenty of rest, and make sure she eats and drinks. It's good she is not trying to hide and is not seemingly in distress! Please keep us informed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has calmed down a bit now- I know she won’t go far so soon after the birth so I will get some proper KRM from the vet and hope she builds her strength up. She’s not a big eater at the best of times so Quite possibly a bit of a deficiency.
Thank you for the reply!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Absolutely give a dish or two a day of the kitten formula - preferably the powdered that you mix with water. Low calcium causes shakes and heavy breathing after birthing. She’ll need it all through her nursing days and should be fit as a fiddle.

Do you plan to spay your cat after this litter weans?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I absolutely plan to spay- I took on two cats from a colleague at work who was moving and they came to me at 5 months, already done apparently. Two litters of kittens in the last week tells me otherwise!