Shelter morning today

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitten season is slowing down. That's good.

We still have heartbreakers, though. Three cats brought in because "I have grandkids now, and I don't want to expose them to the cats." Two of the three have been put to sleep.

One elderly cat, 13 years old, "Moving." The owner had had her since she was a kitten!

Three little orange Furies. (Notice only 1 "r.") Brought in by a mom, said someone gave the kittens to her kids in a parking lot, and she's not letting them keep them.

And it just goes on.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Just plain depressing, isn't it? Our cat home still has "leftovers" from the 2010 kitten season. I won't even get into the older cats.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of person can give up a 13 yr old cat who they have had since it was a kitten because they are moving. I wonder if that person even has a heart, I truly doubt that. There are some really miserable people in this world, it just makes me sick.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people see cats as nice until there is a little inconvenience then they are ready to get rid of them. My cats are nine years old and I have had them since they were kittens. I have moved since I got them and they came with me. I also have small grandchildren and I still have my cats. When they are over they just have to be closely supervised with the cats and the cats have never hurt them.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are just the kind of shelter stories that lead to me having increasing numbers of cats!

My heart hurts for that 13 year old cat! I can't imagine ever giving Blue away...and especially not to a kill shelter!
How does one even fathom doing that?? I have moved 9 times since I adopted Blue and his "sister" - Sissy. Not once did I consider moving somewhere that they couldn't go!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just terrible. I can't imagine giving up a companion of 13 years... The only way I could ever give up Holland is if I somehow ended up living on the street. And luckily for me, I have too big a family to ever have to be afraid of that situation.

I hear all kinds of awful stories about why people give up their cats - allergies, can't take the cat to a new home, they don't match the new furniture... it's just heartbreaking.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Three cats brought in because "I have grandkids now, and I don't want to expose them to the cats." Two of the three have been put to sleep.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kitten season is slowing down. That's good.

We still have heartbreakers, though. Three cats brought in because "I have grandkids now, and I don't want to expose them to the cats." Two of the three have been put to sleep.

On elderly cat, 13 years old, "Moving." The owner had had her since she was a kitten!

Three little orange Furies. (Notice only 1 "r.") Brought in by a mom, said someone gave the kittens to her kids in a parking lot, and she's not letting them keep them.

And it just goes on.
So they had to bring them to a kill shelter? People are disgusting

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
"I don't want to expose them [the grandkids] to the cats"?!?!?--probably those idiots who believe that cats sneak into cribs to smother babies, I suppose. Makes me burn with anger!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The girl who did the intake paperwork almost climbed over the desk in a rage over this. Fortunately, they don't do that; we often take the attitude that the animals are better off with us. Although, in this case...

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
People are truly miserable beings. We took in an 18 year old cat 2 years ago because it's people were "tired of taking care of it" so they were going to take it to a high kill shelter. He's a wonderful guy that we don't regret bringing home for one second. People truly suck sometimes.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Three cats brought in because "I have grandkids now, and I don't want to expose them to the cats." Two of the three have been put to sleep.
I'm just the opposite. I wouldn't want to expose my CATS to small children, so I would keep them separated for the safety and happiness of MY children. That just burns me!

This is why I could never work at a shelter, and I admire anyone who can more than you can imagine. I would be leaving in tears, or bringing home new residents, every day.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooohhhh that kind of thing just burns my biscuits!
The very thought of giving Peanut up is so upsetting that I can't dwell on it. These animals are not temporary, they are our friends and confidants!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm just the opposite. I wouldn't want to expose my CATS to small children, so I would keep them separated for the safety and happiness of MY children.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm just the opposite. I wouldn't want to expose my CATS to small children, so I would keep them separated for the safety and happiness of MY children. That just burns me!
There are research doctors who are beginning to say that we are raising our kids in TOO clean an environment, not allowing them to build up the necessary immunities and tolerances that prevent allergies, asthma, etc.

Our foster Tiger was abondoned at a relative's home, who brought her into the shelter. She was taken in by a rescue, and the lady there says she is one of the best cats she's ever known.