Shelter cat with recurrent bouts of soft stool/diarrhea - adoption concerns

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I posted here before about some anxiety issues related to adopting an adult cat from a shelter - fearing the problems that may come up as I don't really know the history of the cat, why he was abandoned, what habits he may have and how I'd manage that...etc etc. It is so much easier to get a kitten/or two and train it and do all the right things. Anyways, this particular cat, while only 4 years old, has had some issues (several teeth pulled) and has been on a medical hold and to adopt I'd have to sign a liability waver. So, I've been doing some research on soft stool/diarrhea issue and...some of it is scary. Given my tendencies to be anxious and expect the worst, I'm thinking that perhaps I should pass. But am I exaggerating? Yet, that waver makes it look very serious. I don't know what to think. Have any of you experienced a similar situation and actually went through with the adoption? Thank you in advance for sharing!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think with the doubts you are already conveying with what you know, you should pass. If things don't go well, you could resent the fact you went through with the adoption and may even end up resenting the cat.

There will be all sorts of stories folks, on this site, can tell you. Some may be 'happy endings', some may not. In the long run, what will that tell you since you have no idea how your story could develop?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even though my brain goes into the worst case scenario, I think there is a higher probability that this cat would be ok. I've been observing kittens from another rescue (but I'm not interested in kittens younger than 3 years old), because they feature them in one of the local pet stores, and I've seen a few that had soft stools. Up until today, when I saw that liability waver, I had no idea that soft stool/diarrhea was such a big deal! They said that he is now stable, on a prescription diet, but I'm sure the adoption itself will be stressful so may bring the issue back. I don't like to over-react because this is giving in to my tendencies, but I really have no idea whether this is an issue or not. And no, I would not resent the cat, if anything, I'd be super anxious if I was not able to help him or if he died after being adopted.

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you go through with the adoption you have to be emotionally and financially ready to deal with whatever his issues are. As FeebyOwner said, there are all types of stories. Years ago I adopted a 9 yr old cat from a shelter, there was no mention of issues but it turned out he had irritable bowel, not an easy issue to deal with. There are any number of reasons that a cat can have soft stools, being in a shelter environment can be very stressful so it may be stress related or parasitic or an intolerance to an ingredient in something he is eating, IBS etc. If stress related, once he is out of the shelter and he gets used to his new home it may not be an issue any longer. A stray that I took in in July has diarrhea a lot and various tests have been run on the poop and he has had blood work done and so far no medical reason for it has been uncovered, I am leaning towards it being a diet issue, he will not eat the prescription food so now we are going down the single/novel protein food route. I have considered that maybe he is stressed out from being brought inside, although he seems content, did the shelter say whether or not any tests have been done on the cat you would like to adopt? I understand about the anxiety you may experience, I hate not being able to quickly resolve things.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you know anything about the use of liability waivers in this shelter/in your general area? If they are used for just about anything that appears with a cat, the diarrhea may not mean much. If they almost never use them, it could be more serious. Diarrhea can range from something that clears up with a probiotic to a condition which is serious and complicated to treat.

If you are inclined to pet insurance, I don't know if the waiver would indicate a pre-existing condition.

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The shelter did parasite tests and treatment, possibly other tests but it is not disclosed until the adoption, they did put him on a prescription diet and he has stabilized. This cat needs a stable home and right now I'm dealing with an unstable family situation - I have to be ready to travel to a dying loved one, so emotionally I am strained and don't want to leave a newly adopted cat alone with another stranger (either friend, neighbour or a hired pet sitter). If his condition is stress related, my stress will not help him. So yes, I've decided to pass on getting any new cat until a better time. Which in a way is naive, life never gets stable for too long. I don't know. I believe someone else wants to adopt him, there is a sign on his profile. I hope he gets the best home possible.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Shelters often are stressful and inconsistant with food relying on whatever is donated. Its to be expected that there would be stomach upset even in an otherwise healthy cat.

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a local humane society, they are government funded and prescription/science diet companies make huge donations of food there. I have been there frequently and saw that all cats get fed regularly and receive special diets according to their individual requirements, by weight and other specifications from the vet. I have full trust in them. Even how they disclose all problems and put animals on medical hold if required. This boy that I was interested in, I had a chance to adopt him earlier, but didn't, and then this new problem surfaced, so they put him on medical hold (during which an animal cannot be adopted until the problem resolves) for 2 weeks. He had other issues too and their attended to them. I think that because of their stable funding they are able to do things that smaller rescue organizations simply cannot. But this cat was in great hands.