Shelter cat is broken and super depressed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm baffled by what the dentist told me regarding food. Dentist said to avoid all soft food that is mushy because it can stick to the wounds. Says Cosette can learn to swallow whole chunks of dry food. I've given Cosette some chunks taken from canned food. She hates it. She's barely eating. Meanwhile I looked online about feline dental surgery, and all the websites say you should give soft wet food. I'm really confused.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm baffled by what the dentist told me regarding food. Dentist said to avoid all soft food that is mushy because it can stick to the wounds. Says Cosette can learn to swallow whole chunks of dry food. I've given Cosette some chunks taken from canned food. She hates it. She's barely eating. Meanwhile I looked online about feline dental surgery, and all the websites say you should give soft wet food. I'm really confused.
Well that makes two of us!
When my mother lived with us her cat had 5 teeth extractions. She had three teeth left after that. They said soft food only. When my cats got teeth removed it was soft food only. So don't know the reasoning here. I was told if you want to feed hard food wait until everything is done healing. Did they write that on her discharge paperwork?

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well that makes two of us!
When my mother lived with us her cat had 5 teeth extractions. She had three teeth left after that. They said soft food only. When my cats got teeth removed it was soft food only. So don't know the reasoning here. I was told if you want to feed hard food wait until everything is done healing. Did they write that on her discharge paperwork?
I did mean wet food here!

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dentist spoke to me with instructions for several minutes after. She repeatedly said no food like pate. The harder the better, so Cosette will be encouraged to swallow it whole. I remember thinking it was odd.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it's the post-op recovery process. I checked her papers again and it does indeed say dry food.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The dentist spoke to me with instructions for several minutes after. She repeatedly said no food like pate. The harder the better, so Cosette will be encouraged to swallow it whole. I remember thinking it was odd.
That completly is the opposite of what my vet said to do when my old cats tooth was extraced along with a portion of her jaw (infection that spread)

My vet told me to put water on her pate food so it was like a smoothie.

Not sure why your vet is telling you this, sounds like a good way to get food loged in a dry socket.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cosette has eaten about 50 calories in two days. Tonight I'm going to make her a nice big soup. My instinct tells me I need to.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That completly is the opposite of what my vet said to do when my old cats tooth was extraced along with a portion of her jaw (infection that spread)

My vet told me to put water on her pate food so it was like a smoothie.

Not sure why your vet is telling you this, sounds like a good way to get food loged in a dry socket.
Exactly what I was thinking.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cosette has eaten about 50 calories in two days. Tonight I'm going to make her a nice big soup. My instinct tells me I need to.
You could call tomorrow to double check / clarify. Never been told that.If it was my cat , I would want that nice big soup you mentioned . The girl has to eat.♥♥ You are the best thing that has happened to her.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
No they gave her long lasting meds in the IV. Nothing sent home.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No they gave her long lasting meds in the IV. Nothing sent home.
Okay ,I was just thinking if he was concerned about infection and did not give antibiotics. So maybe IV had those? Still never had or heard of anyone being told to give a cat the hardest food they can after extractions. Sounds painful for the cat. They might swallow it whole ,then again they might try to chew it. OUCH! My cat and I still want the soup.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am confused, also. When Artie and then Geoffrey had tooth extractions; the instructions were clear. NO Dry food for at least several days, if not a week or so.

Can you try giving Cosette some wet food, but add water to the bowl. Yes, kind of make it a stew/soupy... This way she can just lap it up..