She Is An Anomaly.

Mommameow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you guys help me pinpoint how far along my girl is?

I am unsure of her last heat because she is a very vocal cat constantly and always has been. But prior to August 18th, she was outside daily for a few hours.. since moving to our new home she has been strictly indoors only. I haven't noticed any heat cycles since we moved, she gets vocal and yowls loud sometimes and rolls around but she has always done that. She doesn't tread or grunt.

I started becoming suspicious of pregnancy as soon as we moved because I knew she had been outside a lot prior and was old enough to be having heat cycles even though I couldn't decipher when she was in one.

The first picture is a nipple on August 23rd. About 5 days after we moved.

The 2nd picture is September 7th, this would put her right around 5 weeks if the 23rd was pinking but I don't know if it is. This is the picture where it looks to be pinking. Making me think she was right around 3 weeks September 7th and possibly got pregnant right before we moved around the 15th of August which is what I have been guesstimating..

3rd picture is September 14, one week further.
More pink and enlarged?? I would think her to be 4 weeks then.

Exactly 6 weeks today is what I would assume.

Here are some other things going on.. she is very needy. She usually is but lately it is like she is a leech. She follows me everywhere right at my heels and sleeps right next to me on the couch when I am out there and if not she is on my bed.

She is very talkative of a cat already, but she walks through the house standing around howling momentarily and then walks away.

She was eating a lot about a week ago, 2 small bowls daily.. now she has been eating one bowl a day and sometimes she actually still has food in her bowl the next morning.

I have tried to palpate her belly and when she is laying on her side I can feel one good sized lump. A few days ago I felt the tiniest of little flutter kicks. No movement itself, just the pokey flutter kick. For the next 3 days I felt nothing..until tonight, stronger flutter kicks. No movement still.

She also lays weird, she is constantly flopping onto her side or straddling things. Like it is uncomfortable to lay like a normal cat lol. But heres the thing..she has not gotten any bigger. Not by much at least. She looks like a skinny petite little cat. You wouldn't even know she was pregnant by looking at her.

2 days ago she had the tiniest pooch on her side, just barely noticable when you look at her head on. She does lots of tummy cleaning but I haven't noticed any fur missing around her nipples, I don't know when that happens..but they are pink and more noticeable.

I got her a box ready because she started getting into everything. Under the coffee table, in the kitchen drawers, under the dresser...she even FELL behind my dresser last week..how she managed that, I'll never know.

Her signs are all over the place, I can't take her to a vet right now as my car is out of commission and my boyfriend works until 10pm nightly.

Some signs make her seem 6 weeks, some seem 8. But her size tells me a different story..but I have heard when they are small cats with one baby, sometimes they don't look any bigger. She also has a VERY soft squishy belly. When she is on her back I can't feel anything. When she is on her side, I feel the lump. And if I palpate when she is standing walking, her belly is firm in places..but she doesn't let me often.

What's your guy's take on this?
How long do you think she has?

Anyone experience cat pregnancy without much weight gain or show?

Sometimes she let's me rest my hand on her belly..other times she attacks it and bites and scratches me if I even try lol. But there are times I have had my hand on her 10min or more and felt no movement or kicking. Sometimes I feel kicks. And ear to belly I hear gurgling.

Today i found her in the nesting box I made. Ignore the empty dish as I just filled it..but shes. I walked from her she didn't follow as she normally does..she just stayed there. 10min later she moved to my bed and is resting there peacefully.

This is so confusing!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mommameow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops sorry I doubled the picture.. new to this.
Right now we are just relaxing in bed. She is sprawled on my shirt.

Attachments

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Mommameow. According to you calculations she would be around 40 days pregnant today. A cat's pregnancy usually lasts between 65 and 73 days so you have some time before delivery takes place. However there is some guessing in the mentioned dates, it would be advisable to have her examined by a vet. Are you planning to have her spayed?

She is lovely. What is her name?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Are you in the US? It's rare for cats to get pregnant this time of year in the Northern hemisphere. Often the shorter days make them not go into heat. So there's a chance she isn't pregnant. Of course not all cats follow the rules so there's a chance she is pregnant ;).

Her nipples don't look especially pink to me, that could just be because she's becoming more mature.

Mommameow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before a few weeks ago you couldn't even see her nipples lol it was like she dint event have them. These have gotten larger and lightly pinked.

I am in the US yes, she was going into heat every 16-20 days roughly according to her extra vocalizing and rolling around-ness but it has been since mid August that she has had a clear cycle.

Mommameow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Mommameow. According to you calculations she would be around 40 days pregnant today. A cat's pregnancy usually lasts between 65 and 73 days so you have some time before delivery takes place. However there is some guessing in the mentioned dates, it would be advisable to have her examined by a vet. Are you planning to have her spayed?

She is lovely. What is her name?

Her name is Moxi :) and yes she will be spayed after. I had originally wanted one planned litter before her spay with health checks and doing it all properly.. but she seemed to have other plans.

We have lived her for approx 40 days today so she is definitely a minimum of 40 days, I am just unsure of when she was mated before we moved.

She sure is my beautiful princess though. I finished her nesting area today and put it in a dark secluded area and she seeks to like it.

She has been playing fetch with my daughter and very happy and playful today lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, if she was in heat and was allowed outside, then she likely is pregnant. I thought she hadn't had a visible heat yet. If a cat is prevented from getting pregnant in earlier heat periods, it's more likely they'll have a late pregnancy even after the days start getting shorter. Cats can also get pregnant when they're not in active heat (induced ovulators). So really there's no way to know how far along she is, except not less than 40 days. The kittens will come when they come.

Once you can clearly feel movement, it's usually about 2 weeks from that point. If she starts leaking milk (not all cats do though) it'll be less than a week.

Mommameow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is about 7 weeks pregnant.
She hasn't gotten ANY bigger, her nipples have pinked up but don't have any swelling or look like they have milk or even a source of milk. But they're bigger because I can actually see them when she lays down. Little bits of hair have been removed from the surrounding area.

She has been sleeping in her nesting box quite a bit lately. I don't feel anything solid in her stomach but there times when I do feel a large lump and I have felt it kick. But when she lays certain ways, I can't feel anything but a squishy belly.

Anyone have a cat be pregnant with no really outward sign?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A very small litter probably, one or two.

Mommameow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like only one, I can only feel the one lump and it is only sometimes.. but do.some 1st time mommas not get full nipples till birth??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
they not always get milk before birth, so this is nothing much to worry about.
Of course, the wise owner has some goats milk or kmr home, to not be withouth defences in the middle of the night.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At four weeks from conception, the kittens are just over an inch in size. By day 35 the kittens are floating in capsules of fluid and can't be felt until day 49, when their heads are large enough to be felt as separate structures. This should only be done by a vet because damage or miscarriage could easily be caused.

As advisor StefanZ mentioned she may be having only one or two kittens. If you are anxious you should let a vet see her rather than keep on trying to feel them yourself which could be contraindicated.

Mommameow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moxi has gone through this entire pregnancy next to undetected. She is small and her belly is soft minus one large lump you can only feel if she lays certain ways.
Her nipples are larger and pink but no milk.
She has been very vocal. I was starting to think that maybe it was a hysterical pregnancy but today her bum is wet and she is not being as lovey as normal.

She has been sleeping in a box for a few days coming out to roll around and meow next to the front door and lick herself compulsively.

This would be right around when she was due, I estimated between the 7th and the 17th.

This is her first litter and she is a year old.

My biggest concern is that I haven't felt movement in weeks. I felt tiny tiny kicks a few weeks ago but the last 2 weeks I have not felt anything.

Do some of you have mommas that you could feel the babies and then suddenly couldn't? I can feel the shape but no movement.

I feel like labor is coming, she keeps getting out of the box and meowing and licking and walking around to sit and lick and meow more. She ate about half what she usually eats in the last 24hrs.. and she doesn't seem as affectionate and normally she is a overly affectionate cat.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last thursday, 4th october, you were saying Moxi was 49 days pregnant so today she would be only 55 days. Labor dans le immediat would be too early. If in doubt it would be advisable to have her seen by your vet without delay.

Mommameow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last thursday, 4th october, you were saying Moxi was 49 days pregnant so today she would be only 55 days. Labor dans le immediat would be too early. If in doubt it would be advisable to have her seen by your vet without delay.

It was unsure of her dates. She was 100% bred before the 23rd of August. I estimate her due date to be between the 7th and the 17th. I believe she was mated around the 12th of August, making her about 64 days.

I am not concerned about the timing as much as the lack of fetal movement.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are concerned, you can definitely visit the vet. An x-ray would give you an idea of the number of kittens and their size. An ultrasound would be able to check for fetal heartbeats and verify that you have live kitten(s).

However I also should say that if a pregnant mom has just one or two kittens, I often don't feel or notice fetal movements at all through the entire pregnancy, because there is so much extra room for the kittens in there. So I wouldn't freak out about lack of visible movement.