Shaky Kitten

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a hand reared baby of 3 weeks age.

After I have fed her and put her down for a walk, she shakes her head (sort of like a dog whose gotten wet) - She then tends to shake a little all over while she's walking. Even when she sits still she still seems to shake.

But it is not all the time, tends to be intermittent.

I have not attributed this to the cold as often I have picked her up and she is quite warm on the outside and is not in a cold room.

Is there something more to this? Or is she just like this because she is so young??

Any help appreciated.
Jane

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jane, please be patient with the board. It is Sunday night and most of the people who can answer this aren't available. If the kitten is shaking, take it to the vet. It is hard to say what you call shaking could be wobbling to me- kittens that wobble need a vet. Some kittens are just shaky as they learn how to walk, but if you are concerned then just ask someone who knows- ask your vet.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes, the temperature of the food just makes them shake a little after they eat. Unless it is prolonged and the kitten is actually chilled, just keep an eye on the little one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to make sure her formula is warm - I'm just not sure - I'm going to the vet this afternoon so I'll see what he thinks about it.

I'm worried that she may not be able to walk properly - I think she may already be deaf (she's an all white kitten) and I'm not sure that she can see that well either.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He didn't seem to be too worried about it - Said it is most likely just the wobbles from being a baby - I'll wait and see what happens over the next week or so when she is walking a little better.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah, I was reading that post and thought it may be applicable to my baby....Oh well, we'll see how things go! I'll love her irrespective of what she may or may not have!!

sullycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the kitty CH? Meaning does the cat have cerebellar hypoplasia? My cat does, shakes his head all the time, especially when he wants to concentrate on something. It's cute, once you get the hang of the CH problems. HE doesn't jump on counters, which I love, but also has a real hard time jumping up inbed with me at night. I had to build a staircase for him. Anything for my spoiled brat though. GOing on 3, and the humane society wanted to put him down. JERKS they are.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she doesn't have CH!!

She's grown into a perfectly healthy beautiful little girl!!

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a hand reared baby of 3 weeks age.

After I have fed her and put her down for a walk, she shakes her head (sort of like a dog whose gotten wet) - She then tends to shake a little all over while she's walking. Even when she sits still she still seems to shake.

3-weeks is very young. I raised 2 babies from birth that had a similar "shaking" problem. Poor little Bob & Allie would shake so much that they had trouble walking and would literally knock themselves over from shaking so hard.

I brought both babies to the vet. and after examination thought there may be a possiblity of neurological problems...both were premies.

Allie stopped shaking completely but Bob continued "the shakes" for weeks. They eventually grew-out of it and thank goodness, both are now healthy 10-month olds...no shakes whatsoever!!

Could be your little one is just very little and hopefully will just grow-out of it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat gave birth to 4 kittens on my porch.They are now 2 weeks old.All the kittens shake sometimes.They shake when sleeping,getting milk,or trying unsuccessfully to walk-almost there.In another couple weeks it should stop.I live in Houston so it is still hot.

Genaparker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 week old kitten is shaking bad and real weak and has trouble walking can you tell me why