Shaking head

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will be visiting the vet practice tomorrow as my cat has had a prolonged period of shaking his head.
I already visited for this reason last year, they did not find anything in his ears and asked me to make a video, I have unfortunately not manage to capture this...
This is very quick and really short...sometimes he scratches his ears before but not always...it is more pronounced when he is excited...

Are there any questions I need to ask?
I think it may be his ears or teeths?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Head shaking like you describe is usually ears. Does the external ear canal look clean. On rare occasions cats can have a polyp in their ear canal that will irritate them at times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Head shaking like you describe is usually ears. Does the external ear canal look clean. On rare occasions cats can have a polyp in their ear canal that will irritate them at times.
I thought about the polip, is this something what vet can see?...
His ears look clean to me...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will need to ask them for a better assessment than last time, as I think they minimised it...
I managed to get a little video clip today...
Hopefully I will manage to get him to the carrier...

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could be ear mites. Have you noticed your cat scratching as well?

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has some inflammation in the left ear, got ear drops for him...this will be a bit tricky to apply...but I will try...if after one week of treatment and another week to settle, he still shakes his head, then we will do assessment under sedation for any polyps...

I always feel so bad when "exposing" him to vet and procedures. He is indoor cat with no much contact with other humans and animals ...so it is really overwhelming ..now he is sleeping on the blanket he likes...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He had a bad night, scratching a lot. Today morning sprinting through the house, as he was really stressed. I gave him additionally KalmAid gel, seems he is calmer...
Unsure how am I going to give him these drops twice a day??? It seems he shakes his head even more, but this may be normal after ear drops (?)...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I will need to ask them for a better assessment than last time, as I think they minimised it...
Just a suggestion but if you feel they didn't take it more seriously or you weren't completely satisfied you might want to consider getting a second opinion from a feline only vet.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a suggestion but if you feel they didn't take it more seriously or you weren't completely satisfied you might want to consider getting a second opinion from a feline only vet.
This time they said that if ear drops do not help they will go for an assessment under sedation...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We completed ear drops yesterday. He was so good allowing me with the procedure...
Today I have noticed a read patch around right ear, perhaps ear drops (Aurimic) irritated the skin, and he was scratching...
I found a product Vetericin plus, so I used cotton to clean the area... hopefully this helps...

Since the ear infection, he allows me to do more in terms of medical treatment, he was ok with cleaning today...it is as if he is trusting me more...
I will clean this area for few days...hope we manage without another trip to the vet...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
hope we manage without another trip to the vet...
Fingers crossed you won't have to bring him back to the vet. :crossfingers: Glad he's getting used to the ear cleaning and trusting you more too.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As he received a dexamethasone injection on Friday for skin allergy from ear drops, he restarted scratching his ears more often...
Hope it is just a temporary irritation...
Otherwise, he is just so good, more playful and vocal...