Settling my kittens

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really need advice, I got 2 kittens from the same litter yesterday. They are tiny and don't think they were 12 weeks like I was told but the state of the place they were kept in I couldn't leave them there.
Since I got them home yesterday they both hide away together behind my sofa and only seem to come out for 10 minutes every so often when no one is around.
one kitten has went to the litter tray and done a pee the smallest hasn't but neither have eaten yet. I have left them in my Livingroom with everything, litter, food wet and dry, water, kitten milk, beds and toys. but the minute anyone is in the room they just run away and hide behind the sofa again.

Any help is gratefully appreciated

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a bonded pair of siblings who were also very shy when they were kittens. For the first week or so they would hide under the couch whenever they saw us.

You might want to consider putting them in a "safe room" with a door and very little foot traffic so they can get used to their new space.

If that's not an option, do you think you could place the food and litter right next to where they hide under the couch? Then gradually move it away once they're comfortable eating.

They are acclimating to a new space, new people, and learning to adjust without their mom. They'll get used to you in time.

How old do you think they are? Do you have a vet lined up for them?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do hope its the usual shyness in a new place... But if they were in a bad situation, they perhaps never got really socialized. And thus, YOU will need to foster them and socialize. After 8 weeks of age its more difficult then before that age, but of course doable. Although you will need some work, effort, love patience - and time...

You had done correct so far... Dont force yourslf upon them. but you may for example, sit down nearby, and read some. Or sing some... Perhaps draw a DaBird along near you. Yawning and streching is greeting to a pal in cat language. Dont look directly in their eyes, look at their shoulder. Get a wooden spoon to cuddle with; wooden because it feels warm, and spoon because its nice to stroke them with this. And this li less threatening than with your hand.

I will write more later on, but you can get ideas from the forum of caretaking of semiferales...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Kitten Lady

Kitten Care - Home — Kitten Lady

Thank you for helping these kittens. If it seemed suspicious, they may not be 12 weeks old yet. The Kitten Lady site has a great deal of general information which will be helpful in a number of areas.

As for their living quarters right now, I have brought more than one litter of feral kittens into my house; some were probably not 12 weeks old and others might have just been at that point. If you have a smaller room, like a bathroom, it would be better for them and would allow you to go in more easily and interact with them without having to locate them under a bed or chair. If at all possible, get them into a smaller room.

If you can give them any kind of a shelter in the room, including a cardboard box with a blanket where they can "hide" it will make them feel more secure but will also allow you to access them.

How to Socialize Feral Kittens<br/> — Kitten Lady

These are guidelines for taming feral kittens; however, yours may not be feral, just very scared and under socialized since they are from a questionable environment.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree they should have their own space for a bit if possible. Can you weigh them? Their weights will tell me more their real age.

I assume they have their baby teeth at least. They are also frightened by their new environment, but kittens do tend to adjust more quickly to a new home out of sheer curiosity while small. Good you got a pair!

Can you post weights in grams and pictures?

They will warm up to you eventually. I’m concerned that they need to begin eating. Try Gerber turkey or chicken baby food on your finger or on a flat plate. Most kittens love it — smells great and easy to lick and digest!

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much all for your help, last night they came out and i managed to sit with them and play with some toys but they will not allow me to touch them as yet, they have now eaten a little and drank some kitten milk and used the litter tray which I'm so happy about.

today when i left them i watched them on the camera and they were running around and playing and even sat on the cat tree looking out the window.

i can now manage to walk past them very slowly and they don't instantly run away. i just need to gain the trust of them to allow me to touch them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaandNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Luna and Nala,
Nala is all all black, Luna has markings. this is from last night

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
still no progress with us being able to approach them although they are happy for us to be in the same room now. if we leave the room and come back in they bolt away and hide.
But if they are happy with you when you are there a while, its a sound beginning of progress... It will prob take stepwise... Even if it MAY be leaps, but expect slow stepwise progress, occasionally step backwards too. Patience and love is the key... Talk much with friendly voice, make friendly sounds... But sometimes just be there queiet.