Seresto flea collar side effects?

Ceige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 older cats, Link & Milla have had their Seresto collars on for the 8 month duration, and I was looking into purchasing new ones for them and one for my new youngest baby, Monkey(1yr old). (They were so effective the first go round)-Then the ingredients caught my attention and I decided to research to see what these "magical" ingredients were exactly...the Google search for the 2 main ingredients lead me to the parasitapedia site...SCARY! Then, I found this forum...and after reading all the above posts...I WILL NOT be purchasing replacement collars for Link & Milla, nor a new one for Monkey! This has made me scared for my babies(as well as, shed quite a few tears for those that lost their sweet furbabies over this poisonous collar). I'm considering myself(and Link & Milla) LUCKY that nothing happened to them while wearing that collar and am NOT taking ANY chances by purchasing another! Monkey and I have his first wellness exam scheduled for tomorrow morning with the family vet, and I will inquiring all about the adverse effects that wearing this collar poses! I'm curious as to what her thoughts are on all this. (My vet did not sell me the first collars, I purchased them @a local Hollywood Feed store after a recommendation from my son's friend).

JMUf1j1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 older cats, Link & Milla have had their Seresto collars on for the 8 month duration, and I was looking into purchasing new ones for them and one for my new youngest baby, Monkey(1yr old). (They were so effective the first go round)-Then the ingredients caught my attention and I decided to research to see what these "magical" ingredients were exactly...the Google search for the 2 main ingredients lead me to the parasitapedia site...SCARY! Then, I found this forum...and after reading all the above posts...I WILL NOT be purchasing replacement collars for Link & Milla, nor a new one for Monkey! This has made me scared for my babies(as well as, shed quite a few tears for those that lost their sweet furbabies over this poisonous collar). I'm considering myself(and Link & Milla) LUCKY that nothing happened to them while wearing that collar and am NOT taking ANY chances by purchasing another! Monkey and I have his first wellness exam scheduled for tomorrow morning with the family vet, and I will inquiring all about the adverse effects that wearing this collar poses! I'm curious as to what her thoughts are on all this. (My vet did not sell me the first collars, I purchased them @a local Hollywood Feed store after a recommendation from my son's friend).

JMUf1j1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s been 7 months since we removed the collar off my four year old Bengal. The collar had burnt right through her fur and into her skin in two weeks. She still cannot walk without losing her balance and can’t jump or climb. It’s very sad. She had permanent neurological damage. My vet sent all her tests to Bayer the pharmaceutical company who makes the collar. They just denied that the collar wold cause that. Vets are in denial too in my opinion. The collars are expensive and makes them a lot of money.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two feral cats in my courtyard and I put them a Seresto collar each.
One of the two cats is fine, the other one is showing some fur loss in the collar area, so I think that the collar is bothering him. Anyway there are no burnings or skin reactions, and he's not scratching himself.

JMUf1j1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two feral cats in my courtyard and I put them a Seresto collar each.
One of the two cats is fine, the other one is showing some fur loss in the collar area, so I think that the collar is bothering him. Anyway there are no burnings or skin reactions, and he's not scratching himself.
Take that collar off straight away if there is fur loss. It will make the cat very sick. The chemicals will enter the blood steam and go to the liver. That’s what happened to my cat.

JMUf1j1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Take that collar off straight away if there is fur loss. It will make the cat very sick. The chemicals will enter the blood steam and go to the liver. That’s what happened to my cat.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apart from the hair loss, no other symptoms are visible and the other cat is fine too.
They both have had the collar for two months now, and I noticed the hair loss in these past few days. The vet asked me to keep a close eye on them both for a week or more. If nothing happened in the first week or two, then it was safe.

PSX_20180701_163935.jpg

Here's one of the three or four spots of missing fur in the collar area. Photo taken 10 minutes ago.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A regular collar doesn't cause those kind of spots. That indicates that there is some chemical burning of the fur happening and once the fur is gone it could burn the cats skin as well. I'd take the collar off before it causes damage to his skin.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice!
I'm going to show the same photo to the vet. I want to know if other people have had the same problem and I will let you know :)

Ceige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s been 7 months since we removed the collar off my four year old Bengal. The collar had burnt right through her fur and into her skin in two weeks. She still cannot walk without losing her balance and can’t jump or climb. It’s very sad. She had permanent neurological damage. My vet sent all her tests to Bayer the pharmaceutical company who makes the collar. They just denied that the collar wold cause that. Vets are in denial too in my opinion. The collars are expensive and makes them a lot of money.
These collars NEED to be discontinued! There are way too many issues CLEARLY going on with these collars, from burns, sicknesses, deaths, and now permanent neurological damage! These are NOT all coincidences! What do we need to do to push Bayer to remove these collars from the retailers and Vet practices??

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting thinking that the chemical composition of this collar is not the same all over the world, or the chemicals might be in different proportions from country to country.
Why do I say this?
Because I made a long research on the web and the main and most severe cases of damages or even death are only in websites written in English, and more specifically American.
I have found nothing on Italian fora or websites or blogs or else.

This can't be a coincidence, I think that over here in Europe there are different rules on some chemicals, and these rules might have forced Bayer to put on the market a "weaker" version of the collar that elsewhere makes so many victims.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I went to my vets for a different reason, and while there I showed one of them the photo I posted here.

The vet told me she uses the same collar on her own cat and she thinks it's a good collar. Her cat had a reaction similar to the one I posted here, with spots of missing fur around the neck.
Despite this, the vet said that it is nothing to worry about, it's not the case to remove the collar from the cat. She and her colleagues have never heard of any cat or dog who had serious troubles, consequences or damages from using these collars.
She's still using that collar on her own cat.

The vet had my same opinion. It is likely that in Europe there are different laws about some chemicals, and hence the composition of the collars here and in USA is different.

Bobberjohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My nine year old cat wore the seresto collar for about a year. Last month he started breathing heavily and lost his appetite then developed a bad twitch. I took him to the vet, they said he was suffering and wanted a lot of money for tests which I couldn't afford. I had my best friend euthanized. I am in tears now just writing about it. I can't say for sure the collar is to blame but after reading all these posts I wonder if it was. I recommend against their use

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nine year old cat wore the seresto collar for about a year. Last month he started breathing heavily and lost his appetite then developed a bad twitch. I took him to the vet, they said he was suffering and wanted a lot of money for tests which I couldn't afford. I had my best friend euthanized. I am in tears now just writing about it. I can't say for sure the collar is to blame but after reading all these posts I wonder if it was. I recommend against their use
I'm sorry for the loss of your cat... yes, some people blame that kind of collar for many issues, some of them severe.
I have put this collar to two semi-feral cats I have in my yard. I have just renewed the collars and so far I haven't seen any problem. The area of the neck where the collar is, is fine, no missing fur or soar skin, or else.

Again, sorry for your cat :(

TNaturegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if anyone has experienced bad side effects or sickness from using a seresto flea collar?
Just recently found out that there are a lot of counterfeit Seresto Collars (I was able to get a refund through PayPal). Bought collars for 4 cats; one cat got sick shortly after. I took her to my vet; after speaking to him and then doing more research these are some tell-tale signs that the collars I purchased were bogus. The fake collars on all cats were immediately removed. My Vet said the collar wasn't working, my cat had fleas and the collar looked wrong.
Collar too wide, more like a small dog collar
Collar flat, no edges
No break-away zig-zag pattern
No lot# on collar
No etched Bayer symbol
Collar inner wrap had foil; not all clear cellophane
Came with no reflectors
Tin : No embossing of Seresto logo on front of tin

Just wanted to put this info out there. The 3 other cats are doing fine with the new collars. My other kitty is just getting back to heath so she has no collar.

DavidWolff21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if anyone has experienced bad side effects or sickness from using a seresto flea collar?

Since I put the collar on I have noticed that he is couching and sometimes breathes funny when he wakes up. Since then he had an eye infection in his left eye with a yellow discharge, which has since healed. I took him to the vet and she said that besides his one swollen gland, everything was fine and that the couching and heaving was probably hair balls (which I have never had a problem with or even noticed).

However, he has since been vomiting and so I have taken the collar off in case it is the collar. The collar was not tight and didn't seem to bother him.

He is one year old, neutered, and has had all his vaccinations because he is an outdoor cat but I'm slightly worried.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or is it probably something else unrelated to the collar??
I have been using the colors for about 2 years. I haven't noticed anything like what you're describing. My cats are a little lethargic before a day or two after I put it on. My cats are all 6 years old I have tried everything regarding flea drops and those just made my cats sicker than dogs. My cats all act like I'm trying to string them up trying to put the collar on them or trying to give him a pill or anything else like that. I think that's more psychological than anything. Even though, I've had them since they were newborn kittens and they were never abused just loved. My cats are weird what can I say.

DavidWolff21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just recently found out that there are a lot of counterfeit Seresto Collars (I was able to get a refund through PayPal). Bought collars for 4 cats; one cat got sick shortly after. I took her to my vet; after speaking to him and then doing more research these are some tell-tale signs that the collars I purchased were bogus. The fake collars on all cats were immediately removed. My Vet said the collar wasn't working, my cat had fleas and the collar looked wrong.
Collar too wide, more like a small dog collar
Collar flat, no edges
No break-away zig-zag pattern
No lot# on collar
No etched Bayer symbol
Collar inner wrap had foil; not all clear cellophane
Came with no reflectors
Tin : No embossing of Seresto logo on front of tin

Just wanted to put this info out there. The 3 other cats are doing fine with the new collars. My other kitty is just getting back to heath so she has no collar.
Yeah my vet told me about all the counterfeit Seresto colors out there, but I ordered mine either through Walmart or chewy.com. since Walmart and chewy both have their own pet pharmacies now I feel safe doing that. My two female cats are both allergic and very sensitive to flea bites. They get lesions and scabs and their hair fall out with just a few flea bites. That's the rest of flea collars have worked really really well my cats have had no flea bites since I've been using them, although, I change them out every 6 months.