Separating Bonded Pair For College

varsity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey. I have two cats that I have had for three and a half years now. They were adopted as kittens and are brother and sister.

Leo is the boy cat. He is very outgoing, affectionate, and friendly, and very confident. Salem is his sister. She is more reserved but still loves people; she looks to her brother for guidance in many situations. I often see them curled up together, playing together, sharing food, and cuddling and grooming each other.

I originally got these kittens after my therapist mentioned that having pets can sometimes help alleviate symptoms of depression. She had a cat that often came in and curled up on my lap during therapy sessions. Leo has been a very big part of my emotional support. I am very attached to him. Caring for him and his sister has helped me so much with my depression and anxiety, and his affection in return has truly helped me get to a better place with my mental health. He seems just as attached to me as I am to him, always coming up to me looking to be pet, purring constantly in my presence and sleeping with me nearly every night. By contrast, Salem is very picky about when she wants affection, and does not seem to care about humans one way or another.

I will be going off to college next year. I have ensured that the colleges and universities I have been looking at have pet-friendly dorms, or nearby apartments and housing that permits pets. I will have the financial ability to care for a cat, as my parents will be helping me by paying for the majority of my tuition and I will be able to cover other expenses myself with my savings. I am also planning on getting a job so financial stability is not an issue here. However, I am worried that separating the cats would be bad for them.

I could take both of them with me, but I am a lot more attached to Leo. I worry that a college environment would not be good for Salem, as she tends to get scared easily by loud noises and sudden movements. While Leo is friendly to almost everyone and will get along great with complete strangers, Salem is a lot more skittish and I worry that keeping her in a college environment would not be good for her mental state. I also have younger siblings at home (ages 8, 14, and 15) that might object to me taking both cats with me.

Regardless of whether or not they come with me or stay at home, I know they will be cared for and loved, but I don't really know what to do. My parents are pressuring me to make a decision. The idea of leaving Leo behind really hurts me, but I don't want to hurt him or his sister by separating the pair of them. There is also the chance that I could adopt another cat while in college, but I worry I would not bond with that cat the same way I've bonded with Leo.

If anyone has any advice about this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet.

My family, and now myself, have never had more than 1 cat at a time, so I've never dealt with separating bonded cats, so unfortunately I can't offer an opinion from personal experience.

I do worry that separating them might cause one or both to become stressed or depressed.

Hopefully some other members who've dealt with a similar situation will see this post and reply with comments/advice.