Senior cat with CKD concerns

Silverspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
This is my first post here so I'm a little nervous. My husband and I have a 23 year old cat with ckd and diabetes. He's lost a lot of weight and muscle mass but he still can get up and down the stairs and can get up on the bed and still loves to eat and drink. Last night for whatever reason, his sugar went way down and he had a seizure. We were able to rush him to the emergency vet and they were able to stabilize him. He stayed overnight and the doctor said we could either keep him another night or take him home and monitor. The doctor also brought up quality of life, that his body score wasn't good and that we needed to think of the humane thing. This upset my husband and I because we feel that he's still able to get around, use the litter box and eat and drink. I obviously don't want to be selfish but I don't want to jump the gun either. We brought him home and he ate and drank and he seems much brighter being home. We feel that when he's ready, he will let us know. Am I doing the right thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silverspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they say why his blood sugar was down? Whatever they did helped. So I agree monitor andd contact the IMD about it
They think he might have not had enough to eat but they aren't sure

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you do additional handfeeding and track his daily caloric intake?

I did that with my boy when he had multiple health issues. He was a very finicky eater, was impossible to pill and wouldn't eat if he detected anything in his food. So, my vet described using a tongue depressor, getting a little pate style food on the end, and scooping that into his mouth.

It was very important that he didn't lose weight or body mass and for the most part we made that goal. He did very well right up until his last weekend 💞

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We brought him home and he ate and drank and he seems much brighter being home.
You may have to monitor very carefully, but at this point I would not say that you should let him go. ER vets can sometimes have a different mindset about things than your regular vet. If this can be helped by careful feeding, you should continue on with him for as long as he does have good quality of life.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has your cat been checked for hyperthyroidism? Many cats eat just fine but still lose weight. Further, hyper-T can cause heart issues or neurological issues, both of which could mimic a seizure - not exactly common though. Not sure how all that plays into his glucose level, but something to ask about anyway.

Notwithstanding all that, if he were my cat, no way would I consider it to be 'his time'.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since you brought him to an ER vet I would call your regular vet in the morning. You can explain what happened and discuss it with them since they have your cat's medical history and know him best. But I agree with all the above members that his quality of life is what counts and he will let you know when it's time. Best of luck and please keep us updated on his progress. 🤗

BTW, welcome to TCS! I forgot to ask what's his name?

Lef11588

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think if your cat is still eating and drinking and acting like himself at home then don’t put him down. Keep him happy and healthy and comfortable. You and your husband know your cat better than anyone else especially a vet who has only seen him once at his very worst. Cats with ckd have really good days and some really bad days. If he still seems like himself I would say let him be but follow up with your regular vet just to be sure.