Senior Cat (Male neutered 18 years)

rebecca.jones37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I have had cats all my life and would like any assistance here.
I have a male 18 year old neutered cat who has been an amazing pet with no issues all his life. In the past few months he as started peeing on hardwood areas in the house but is using the litter box for pooing?
have tried the plug in things and sprays to absolutely no effect! Been to vets - not very helpful - but no pain-or medical cause?
I appreciate his candle is dimming put other than peeing in random spots he is happy and eating well?
any help,advice etc very much appreciated xx

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebecca.jones37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do i remove the images i added in error?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Good job having a cat that is 18 years old.

Anytime a cat has a change in behavior it is a cause for concern. Sadly many vets are not as current on cat medicine as they are in dogs. This is changing but still there are plenty out there that don’t recognize signs that need further investigating.

If I were you, I would see if there is a cat only hospital and have him checked.

Medical reasons a cat could be urinating outside the box are many. Some that would be highly suspect: Renal disease (kidney), urinary stones, hyperthyroidism.

Other issues could be many as well, but some: Not enough cat litter in the litter box, using clumping litter (when cats get older sometimes they can’t get away from the urine in the cat box quick enough and they get clay clumps on their feet) not having a box that is accessible quick enough for when they want or need to use it. Difficulty getting in the box. Location of the box.

You can try using a different non clumping litter. I’m sure his box is clean, but always have one litter box plus one per cat. So one cat should have 2 boxes. You can try putting a box where he is going on the floor and see if he will use it.

Cats are complex. I have a feeling he is trying to tell you he doesn’t feel well.

When you went to the vet did they check his thyroid levels or run bloodwork?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you added another litter box or changed to a box with lower sides to help him get into the box easier? Was a urinary tract infection ruled out? Does he have any other symptoms such as lethargy, not eating, or hiding?

My cat starting avoiding the litter box and after we'd tried everything, the vet put him on a low dose of Prozac and it's helped tremendously, but it took about 21 days to see a positive effect. After 2 or 3 days, he started using the box again. Now he's starting to use the box to poop again, but it's still 50-50. However, I'm thankful that he's using the box again.

Felinian

Owned by this wonderful cat!
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Rebecca. My old Tonk is an 18-yo neutered male, too. Like yours, he's developed new, troubling behavior. One, he has begun refusing to drink even fresh, filtered water from anything. e.g, mug, bowl, pasta plate, However, by sitting/lying in the bathtub for hours, he finally got it through my thick human skull that he wanted to drink only running tap water (not the healthiest choice & putting me in a new unanticipated dilemma - later today, I'm going to post about this on water fountains in this forum). He also never eats all the wet food (best for seniors, vet says) that I put on his plate, no matter how little I serve or how expensive the brand, as if it's now "royal etiquette" never to finish all the food in one's plate (so now, I have a lot of well-fed night visitors to finish what I scrape out in the yard - possums, raccoons, and neighborhood cats. Not really desirable "dinner guests" right now, with infectious ticks and cytaux (bobcat fever) at epidemic levels here, but I hate to throw good catfood away.

As for your handsome old guy, I agree that having him checked him for a urinary/metabolic problem is of first priority. S silent meowlook lists all the right things: renal disease; kidney (and bladder) stones; thyroid function. Bladder stones are too often overlooked, but can cause major discomfort for cats and dogs alike - make sure you ask for that - it requires just an ultrasound (not x-ray), I believe.

If that is not the issue, try changing your type and brand of litter. My old guy has always tolerated only basic fragrance-free, heavy, dried clay (hard-clumping) - e.g., Tidy Cat Free & Clean Unscented. Fortunately, that is healthier than the "fragrant" light-weight stuff which clings to my cat's paws and makes him smell like a sickeningly perfumed fabric softener, and leading him to keep licking those sticky light-weight particles off (disturbingly too similar to styrofoam to me), which can't be good for his digestive or urinary tracts.

Then if infection, metabolic issues, and alternate litter are ruled out as causing the peeing problem, it may help to try a good vet's prescription of often-used calming drugs - Mirtaz (the least addictive and good for appetite), Valium, or Prozac (which I've never tried).

I'm wishing you all the best!!! :alright: Having an old cat can be so bittersweet and worrisome, I know!

Felinian