Senior cat having diabetes

GabeAriane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20210808_043628.jpg

Hi
Here is my 12 years old cat Ace . This cat has followed me absolutely everywhere i have been throught the past twelve yrs . He is my true partner. Unfortunately, i have noticed, about à month ago, that he has been over drinking and also been urinating outside his litterbox...which is completely not normal and has also been happening for the 1rst time in his hole entire life. I red on the net that he might suffers either from diabetes or chonic renale infections. He also had 5 urinal track infections in past but none since the past 6yrs. I certainly do not believe he has a urinal infection because he has been urinating such HUGHE QUANTITY of urine that it is simply not logical. I feed him good quality dry food (72$ bag of 4k) but saw that it was better to feed him pate and even fancyfeast was a good choice ?! Please help me give my cat the best food due to his condition. I absolutely do not have no clue what to do in this case
Thank you
GabeAriane

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You start with a vet visit, the sooner the better. Yes, he needs to be on low carb food, like Fancy Feast pate. The gravy Fancy Feast foods are much higher in carbs. The dry food diet is probably to blame, no matter how good you believed it to be. You need to get him to a vet as quickly as you can. He needs to be diagnosed and the vet will prescribe insulin. The best thing you can do right at this moment is join this board: felinediabetes.com . You can read all the information you could possibly need, and will have the help of veteran FDMB members. My cat was diagnosed with diabetes in late July, and started insulin on August 4 after changing his diet to all low carb. The FDMB has been absolutely invaluable, I don’t know what I would have done without them. The nervousness and anxiety, the sheer terror that I felt then are now gone, and we are a good team. I test the outer edges of his ears using a safety lancet and blood glucose meter. He is on Prozinc insulin and gets injections every 12 hours. Go here to post in the Health Forum, where all of us newbies begin. Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

Make sure you get him to the vet as soon as possible! You need to know his diagnosis for sure, his blood glucose number, and make sure there are no ketones in his urine. Many of the cats whose owners are on FDMB live long, happy, healthy lives. Many go into remission and no longer need insulin. I wish you two the best, and that site is where you will find Ace’s best chance.

Edit: Gabe, you obviously love this precious boy Ace very much. What seems terrifying and insurmountable right now will soon become as normal to you and as easy as brushing your teeth. But he needs your help to get back to health. Cats are one of the few creatures whose pancreas can heal. But that does require insulin and a strict diet change. I feed Fritz Fancy Feast pate and a few other low carb wet foods. Fritz’s diabetes was brought on by one of those darned veterinary diets. Never again will I let a vet talk me into one. There is a food chart of pretty much every canned food made that shows you the percentage of carbs, you want to stay under 10%, I try to stay at around 5%, I do feed Dr. Elsey’s CleanProtein dry food, as treats, not as meals. He also gets freezedried treats, You will need to set up a hypoglycemic kit (Karo syrup, honey, high carb wet foods, etc.) for times when the insulin sends his blood glucose numbers too low. I know it sounds like it’s all impossible, but it’s really not. As long as you test his BG numbers, YOU are in control. Lots of great tips on FDMB, and members with vast experience and wisdom to guide you through this sugar dance. We will all see you through it and you will have your boy for many more years, God willing. Saying a prayer tonight for you and Ace. You’re going to be fine!

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with ALL of the above. Vet first. If this is diabetes, without medication it can become fatal. Should this be diabetes, your vet can quickly and easily teach you to administer his insulin. My dear friend learned it without a problem, and she is in her upper 70s.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing to do is to schedule an appointment with the vet and have full blood work done including kidney tests and a fructosamine. Many vets are booked months in advance now due to the pandemic and staff burn out so call your vet soon and get an appointment made.

Once a diagnosis is made, the vet will start treatment. If it's diabetes, treatment is insulin and low carb preferably canned food. Many Fancy Feast Classic / Gourmet pate varieties are suitable for diabetic cats. There are many other brands to choose from, too. Daily blood glucose testing is a must, just like it is for Human diabetics.

:yeah: The FDMB Is the best web site / forum you can join to get tons of help and support from other diabetic cat owners. You're welcome to stay here on TCS and post about your cat and post pictures (we love pictures!) but diabetes isn't discussed very much here.

If it's kidney issues, the best web site for that is Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat I'm not familiar with kidney disease and treatment.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with all of the above. I have had two diabetic cats, both on insulin for several years. It is completely manageable and your boy who is so attached to you will be no problem to help. Definitely join the FDMB as they are fantastic.