Senior Cat Advice

blessedalways

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my cat friends!

Any recommendations for supplements for senior cat? My cat is 17years old and I have noticed her loss of appetite and weight loss recently. Any advice on general health supplements or senior issues (kidneys etc) would be well appreciated. Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Has she been in to see a vet? If not, that will be your first order of business. Unless she actually has kidney issues it isn't recommended to feed any differently, except to be sure to feed canned food and to have a lot of fresh clean water available at all times.
But if she in fact does have kidney issues or something else that's causing the lack of interest in eating, a vet needs to determine what is going on, and what specific diet she may need.

So, with that said, I'm posting the two articles related to food, with reservations;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blessedalways

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Has she been in to see a vet? If not, that will be your first order of business. Unless she actually has kidney issues it isn't recommended to feed any differently, except to be sure to feed canned food and to have a lot of fresh clean water available at all times.
But if she in fact does have kidney issues or something else that's causing the lack of interest in eating, a vet needs to determine what is going on, and what specific diet she may need.

So, with that said, I'm posting the two articles related to food, with reservations;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight – TheCatSite Articles

Hi,

Thank you!

I have not brought her to a vet yet. She is terrified more than an the average cat of leaving the house so as she got older I just tried to prevent her stress as much as possible and our city is currently in lockdown so I have not made it an urgent matter (but I am aware that would be best choice re: her health). But thanks for the articles - helpful.

Any input on CBD oil for cats?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Some people have had good results. If this is for the vet visit, also cover the carrier with a towel so she can't see, and additionally Only Natural Pet website store has a calming spray that worked for my scared boy :)

Since she's not eating well, you will want to consider getting an appointment as soon as you can.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have to agree about the vet check up - full blood panel, including a thyroid check, would be helpful. I don't know the severity of lockdown you are in, but you could also consider an in-home visit from a vet to lessen your kitty's stress with a trip to a vet's office. Perhaps, your vet knows of someone who is qualified to come to your house just to take a blood sample?

There are just too many things that could be behind the loss of appetite and weight. For example, Feeby (16+ yo) was experiencing both, and while a lowered appetite level is not a typical sign of hyperthyroidism, it turns out that was/is her issue. Now that she is on medication, her appetite is better and it seems as if her weight has been stabilized. She's been on meds for just short of 2 months.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 15 year old who is in the beginning stages of kidney disease. She lost a lot of muscle mass. When she was at vet in April, they added a potassium supplement which has helped her perk up quite a bit and she's had some really good days. It took a couple of months to see any improvement, but her appetite has returned and she's much more mobile. Your girl definitely needs to see the vet and get a senior blood panel to check kidneys and for diabetes.