Semi Feral Training Tips?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to get some of my semi-ferals socialized so I can try and get them adopted. I'm working on this tom cat who always has his claws out. Do you have any tips on how to get them to retract their claws? He doesn't scratch me, but it's uncomfortable when he digs into my thighs like they are upholstery. I pick him up and set him on my lap to pet, until he gets antsy and I also carry him around a little bit to get him used to that. Today he bit me. It was just a love bite, no skin broken, but I said ouch and left. That is what Jackson Galaxy recommends, ignore bad behavior. I can not bring this boy inside for training, but he is always outside my apartment door. He follows me around and loves attention, so I know he wants to be someone's pet. Does anyone have a secret training tip on how to get to get kitty to keep his paws soft?

Reggie.jpg

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hissed at then feral when he used his claws and then I walked away. Today, he is the sweetest boy who never ever shows claws. He may "paw" me if he wants something (or doesn't) but his claws are always drawn in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds good, but this guy's claws are out all the time. It's not like he's trying to scratch me, it's more like he's trying to hang on to me. And he will be kneading me, so he is being affectionate, not aggressive. Sometimes he does reach out with his paw to get my attention. I will hiss at him when he does that. It makes sense that they would understand the hissing sound.

I wish I could trim his nails. But he needs them since he is outside.

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning, I petted him and I just kept picking up his front paws and massaging them to make them retract. I think if I keep doing that he might get the idea. He acts like crawling on my lap is like climbing a tree. Plus he probably just has extra long claws and he is a big guy.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I like the massaging idea. Slow and steady with the interactions and he should 'get it'. It's lovely that he wants to be loved. :redheartpump:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful kitty in your opening post, wishing you luck with training. He's certainly a keeper.
Thanks, one of his ear's is wonky from infection, but he is a very friendly cat so I hope a potential adopter will overlook his short comings.