Semi-feral is hard to read....

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My semi-feral is now indoors, in her own room (long story, but she was inside two years ago, got out and became trap-savvy and has been living on my lanai, happy as a clam for the past two months).

She has only been inside a few days and did great the first two nights, now seems to be taking steps back and has been hiding in her condo cubby-hole. She doesn't seem to want to come out, and I put food in there because I want her to eat. :catrub:

I am mystified as to her change in mood. What can I do for her?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You do want to be sure that she eats and drinks as necessary, along with uses the litter box but aside from that I think that this is the very normal behavior of a feral who has just come inside....or semi feral since she did have an indoor life before. Unless you see warning signs of something medically wrong, I would give this time and let her work things out on her own. My avatar Alice and her twin Elise were born as ferals two years ago and brought in by me, after a long socialization process of sorts outside, about 3 months ago. Alice instantly went behind a dresser and Elise clung to the mantle in a ball but both have transitioned to very lovely indoor pets. I think that your cat is probably processing what is going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long did Alice hide behind the dresser before venturing out?

The odd thing is, on her second night she was more adventurous than she is now. Perhaps it was all just too fast for her.

I left her bedroom door open just a crack last night, but I don't think she ever came out.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much "feral" and how much "semi" is she? Have you ever been able to touch her, pet her? Or does she only tolerate your presence if you don't make a move towards her?

If she has, in the past, allowed you to touch her (and enjoyed it, come for pets, etc.), I might put her in your bedroom. In my experience, cats left in their own room tend to stay in that feral state for longer. Obviously it depends on how much time you spend with them, but even if you're in there for 6 hours a day that's still 18 hours that she's alone. But, when they're in the bedroom, they have all night to smell you, walk on you, lie on the bed, and just get used to all your moments and noises.

I had a cat like this - when I first took her in, I put her in her own room. She was okay for a couple days, then lost her mind (probably because of a weird nose, someone in the house, me trying too hard to make friends with her... etc.) She got into my ductwork and eventually I let her back outside because it was a rental apartment and I couldn't really do anything about it. A year later, I got her in again and put her in my bedroom; within days she was cautiously coming out for pets and within months she was almost a normal housecat, just a little more prone to spooking. I had another who was semi-feral in my home for years; she mostly lived on the couch. One night, my husband was away and I slept on the couch - her zone - and she came to sleep on me and discovered that being petted isn't so terrible, and it's like a flip switched. Both of these cats are now the most affectionate, trusting kitties I've ever had.

That being said, if you are unable to bring her into your bedroom or safely into your living space, then I wouldn't worry too much. Anything can trigger them into panic when they're feeling trapped, and it usually will go back to her normal state in a couple days.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she loves being petted, but has never been picked up (when I try, she hisses and is frightened). I live alone with 3 other cats, whom she has met from her time on the lanai. I keep her door closed because I don't want her to feel intimidated if they enter. :help:

I don't spend much time in my room - I am mostly in the living room, so I was hoping she would venture out last night when I left the door ajar. Perhaps tonight.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are able, I would keep her in the living room; it's kind of a forced, passive contact with you. She will have to settle down and start to explore her surroundings, and you'll be there when she does. Though I find there is something magical about the bedroom as a place for taming semi-ferals - it's like they know you are asleep, vulernable, and not dangerous. They feel confident lying on the bed beside you even though they won't come near you otherwise.

I also tend to integrate new cats with my other cats sooner than is generally recommended. I do take a common sense approach to this - if one is aggressive or territorial, obviously I don't let them run loose together, but I generally have a good sense which of my cats will ignore newcomers, approach in friendship, etc.

All that aside, I think your new kitty is doing fine and will do great regardless. I'd wager that in a few days she'll be poking her head out and coming over rubs, even if it's just a couple seconds at a time.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, that sounds like a plan. The girls ignore each other for the most part,but my boy cat is more rambunctious and might freak her out if left together for too long. He is also much larger than her. Perhaps the sooner she gets used to him, the better.

On a positive note, initially, she kept to the closet. Eventually, she wandered out to her cat condo. I will close the closet door now and leave her bedroom door open tonight.

If she doesn't wander out into the living room, I will try to lure out there with treats. :lovecat2:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think she ventured into the living room last night, but she IS playing in the night. Her rugs were all scattered and her toys were everywhere.

She ate EVERY bite of her breakfast this morning, too. She will be just fine, I think. ;)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: she doesn't come out of her condo until around 10:00. It has been 9 days that she has been inside. I am giving some thought to the possibility of releasing her back to the outdoors, where she seemed more active, happier.

She is eating, but I had to "tempt" her this morning with diced chicken on top of her breakfast. She did eat it all (1/2 can of Friskies + the diced chicken).

She does not hiss or try to run. She just lays in the condo cubby hole.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She did not eat one bite of dinner and has not come out of her condo. It is 9:20 PM..

Any thoughts on these updates? I'm at a loss here and I don't know what to do.

If she doesn't eat tomorrow, I am planning on releasing her back outside. :sniffle:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't give up! Keep the door to her room closed and maybe she will be more comfortable. Just visit several times a day, sit on the floor and read book for ten or fifteen minutes. Give her a chance to become accustomed to you again. Leave a couple of treats when you leave. It may take much longer. This is her second time around. Nothing good can happen to an outdoor cat. Dogs, other cats, cars.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bringing a semi feral cat inside a home can takes weeks to many months for the cat to acclimate. Try giving her tuna water with some flecks of tuna. Try plain cooked chicken, baby food, stinky canned food. My guess is that she will eat. Are you leaving food out for her during the night? She might feel more comfortable eating then.

If you release her, she will regret it. Coming inside a house is hard for an outside semi feral cat. You just can't open the door and hope for the best. It takes work. It takes time and it takes lots and lots of patience.

Please please do not release her.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She eventually ate last night, after I tried a few things (she is most fond of chicken). She also ate breakfast this morning. I just want her to be happy - I don't care if she is never a lap cat as long as she is a happy cat. :alright:

1) I should start closing her bedroom door? How long should I do this?

2) I leave kibble out at all times - should I leave out wet food, too? She doesn't always want to eat at mealtimes.

3) How long can I expect she will be hiding in her condo? I want her to feel safe, but not sad.

It is the 10th day she has been inside.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You really need to be patient. 10 days is not long at all. The first feral I brought inside took a solid year to adjust. It's a difficult time for her. Spend time with her in her room even if it's just talking to her quietly. Play a radio with soft music. Have a night light.

I wouldn't leave wet food out for more than 2 hours as it will spoil.

She needs time and love. She will come out when she is ready. She may be frightened for awhile, but you know this is the absolute best for her. If you let her back out the dangers of the outside world begin all over again.

My first feral hid for weeks and yowled at night for 2 weeks. I would just in the room on the floor at his level and talk with him. The progress was painfully slow. I would move forward and then backward. Yet now he is a sweet sweet boy. Still hides from others, but sits on my lap and snuggles at night.

Each cat is different and how long they hide or how they take to adjust depends on so many factors. Remember that slow and steady wins the race. She does not seem ready for her door to be open yet. It's too much too soon.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I will proceed accordingly and keep her door closed for awhile (not sure how long).

On a plus note, she NEVER hisses and never tried to run out when her bedroom door was open. :loveeyes:

I can still pet her, but only when she comes out of her condo, which is later in the evening. She doesn't stay out of it for long, though.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is having a better day today, with her bedroom door closed. She ate all of her lunch and I did not have to coax her. :heartshape:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yea!! Give her time, patience and love. We humans want things to move at our pace.... fast. Cats move at their own pace and we need to respect that. I bet given some time she will blossom into a wonderful indoor kitty!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She ate all her breakfast with no coaxing. I think if she was depressed or afraid, she wouldn't be eating. :)

We'll get there....I just wish she would come out of her condo more often.