Selfless

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend at my job who is going through chemo. She just had her second of 4 treatments, which she has every 3 weeks. She knew her hair would fall out, and, having been there myself, we were talking about how traumatic that was. Having cancer is one thing, but we both agreed you go into battle mode, trust your docs, and do everything you can to get the invader out of your body.

Hair falling out is something entirely different. It's physical, visual evidence of what's going on with you....and something you can't control.

So, to have some control, I chose to have my hairdresser buzz cut me the instant I started seeing clumps of hair in my hand. The moment it was buzzed, and the first look in the mirror was traumatic, but I could live with it because it was something I had done to regain control.

My friend felt the same way, and decided to get hers buzzed the other night, as she was tired of waking up with clumps of hair on her pillow.

Here's the selfless part: Her 17 year old son walked in that night with a bald head. You've got to understand....he's 17 and in a rock band and his hair had been long and silky, down to his waist - his pride and joy.....and he did this for his mom. I can't get over this - what a sweet, wonderful, sensitive son. He donated the hair, which was also wonderful, but the act of love, in solidarity with his mom, has left me speechless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Wow, your post almost has me in tears. What a great and thoughtful son she has

I hope she is okay
Aww, thanks. I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. Chemo is rough, but she seems to be getting through all right, one day at a time, thinking of April 1, when it ends.

This thoughtful gesture from her son, I'm sure, helps in the process!

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To have a son do that in support of his mom is truly selfless!! What a wonderful thing to do for her!! It also says a lot about your friend--to have raised a child like that!! She'll be in my prayers...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so very sweet of her son.

I feel for your friend and you, it is such a surreal experience every step of the way. I shaved my mom's when she started losing a lot of it coming out in clumps. She was so brave and never ever complained or acted sorry. She was amazing through it all.

Cancer is really traumatic in so many ways. When my mom lost her hair due to the chemo my dad shaved all his hair too and his mustache, which none of us had ever seen him without those. A couple years later he still wears it the same. All of her kids cut our hair, we are girls so we didn't shave but did cut very boy short.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

That is so very sweet of her son.

I feel for your friend and you, it is such a surreal experience every step of the way. I shaved my mom's when she started losing a lot of it coming out in clumps. She was so brave and never ever complained or acted sorry. She was amazing through it all.

Cancer is really traumatic in so many ways. When my mom lost her hair due to the chemo my dad shaved all his hair too and his mustache, which none of us had ever seen him without those. A couple years later he still wears it the same. All of her kids cut our hair, we are girls so we didn't shave but did cut very boy short.
That was wonderful of you all! I'm sure your mom felt and really appreciated your love and support.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending lots of prayers and vibes for your friend to make a strong recovery!

It sounds like she has raised one wonderful son

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all, for your prayers and vibes. Her name is Tina. She's very strong and positive, so I'm sure she'll get through this "bump in the road" as she calls it. I like to call her a warrior.

She has, indeed, raised a wonderful son. I've actually never met him, but I want to give him a big hug when I do!!!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a great son!!

I hope Tina get through the bump in the road and is well in no time.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm practically in tears after reading this. Tina is very lucky to have a wonderful son like him.

I know what Tina is going through. I had my head completely shaved when I was going through chemo, my nephew came over and did it for me. I hated the feeling of wet hair coming off in my hand under the shower, it was a terrible feeling. It was just better to get it off all at once.

I wish Tina the best of luck and hope she comes out a cancer survivor as I have been for the past six years. I thank God and my oncologist for that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Wow, your post almost has me in tears. What a great and thoughtful son she has

I hope she is okay
That is just really amazing.
In fact - all the stories in this thread of solidarity with someone going through this are amazing.

for your friend Tina!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - Just wow!
What a truly, selfless thing for him to do. I am just speechless.
God bless his sweet heart, and Tina too.
I hope she recovers quickly.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prayers for Tina to make a full recovery. God bless that dear son. He is truly selfless and it is very evident he loves his mother very much. What a sacrifice.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I know what Tina is going through. I had my head completely shaved when I was going through chemo, my nephew came over and did it for me. I hated the feeling of wet hair coming off in my hand under the shower, it was a terrible feeling. It was just better to get it off all at once.

I wish Tina the best of luck and hope she comes out a cancer survivor as I have been for the past six years. I thank God and my oncologist for that.
Another survivor! There are a few of us on TCS, I see! Six years....awesome.

Yeah, the worst part for me, too, was in the shower, seeing it coming out in clumps. I had my "Lifetime Movie" moment, standing in the shower and crying, and then got out and called my hairdresser. It was sort of liberating when it all came off under her hands, rather than on its own.....sort of like, "Take that, cancer. I'm doing this, not you!"

Once again, thank you all for your lovely good wishes for Tina. I'll certainly pass them along to her. She's a very positive person, and this will just add more "positiveness" to her day!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now THAT'S a good kid! She obviously did something right in raising him.

for your friend's recovery!