Seeking Input on My Cats GI Issues

SonomaCatMom88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 month-old British Shorthair. I got him from a cattery.

Shortly after bringing him home at 5 months-old, he tested positive for Giardia. Treated with Panacur and Metronidazole. During treatment, he developed diarrhea / soft stools.

Next fecal test was negative for Giardia but positive for another parasite. This was treated with a new medication. (I can't recall the name of the parasite or medication and can't find my doctor visit notes). Next fecal test was clear for parasites.

Soft, smelly stools persisted. We start probiotics (Fortflora brand) - didn't seem to help. Then we did another round of Metronidazole, this did help firm up some stools but not consistently. He has now been on prescription Hills z/d food (dry and wet) to avoid upsetting tummy. New food did appear to help a little but not consistently.

Over the last two weeks, stools continue to be soft and smelly. He will also go to the bathroom multiple times in a row (3 poops within 30 minutes). The last two days, some stools had mucus and faint red blood.

I took him to the vet today. We are starting prednisone and metronidazole to see if that helps. We will also continue probiotics. We are doing another fecal test for safe measures. I will continue this treatment plan from the doctor, however, I wanted to reach out to this community for any inputs or suggestions. Any similar experiences? Any recommendations on probiotics?

Looking to obtain more knowledge so I can be a bit more assertive on my next vet visit to find a resolution as I do feel like they are just trying to throw "bandaids" at the issue rather than finding the root cause. Also will be looking for a new vet.

Appreciate the insight!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Forti Flora is not much of a probiotic, but it works great as a flavor enhancer. Most folks on this site try S. Boulardii instead. Might be something to consider.
Amazon.com: NOW Supplements, Saccharomyces Boulardii, 5 Billion CFU Probiotic, 60 Veg Capsules : Health & Household

Being from a cattery, I presume you have had him tested for FeLV and FIV - and, vaccinated?

Here is some additional information about metronidazole and what all it can be used for, just in case it gives you any other ideas on what might be behind your cat's diarrhea.
Metronidazole For Cats: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects - All About Cats

Hoping others come along soon with helpful suggestions/information!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree on the probiotic. It's also possible that he still has giardia, or has become reinfected. It's easy to get reinfected with it, and it's also very possible to test negative when they actually still have it :sigh:. But since he tested for giardia and then for a different parasite, who knows what is going on at this point :dunno:?

Here is an article about Giardia that might help, Giardia And Giardiasis In Cats – TheCatSite Articles, and you might also ask about them running a PCR fecal, which tests for things not normally tested. It's pricey, but can be well worth it if helps figure out exactly what is causing the issue.

I'm guessing now they are thinking possibly IBD since they have put him on pred? I think you are right in that they are putting bandaids on him rather than really figuring out the problem, but I'm not in their minds. It could be food causing the issue. Did you talk to the cattery and let them know first that he came to you with Giardia, and second to learn what they had been feeding him? They really need to know about the Giardia as it can spread like wildfire, and if he didn't have issues earlier on with what they were feeding him, then you should be able to feed him the same food, at least for now and see what happens. Of course, since you've had him for quite some time now, you would need to transition him back to it if you want to give that a try.

In the meantime, you can try feeding him just some plain poached chicken (no spices or herbs, just chicken and water, no skin or bones either) for a few days to give his intestines a break. You can add in the probiotics and any medications you need to it. Also slippery elm bark syrup might help, but don't use that at the same time as any medications. This chicken isn't nutritionally complete, but will be ok for a few days just to give him a break from the diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SonomaCatMom88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the recommendations. I will be looking into getting ordering new probiotics and I like the idea of the poached chicken for a few days. The z/d diet has helped and is supposedly good for stomach sensitivities, but never been too happy with the other filler ingredients.

He is fully vaccinated and an indoor cat only. He had one clean fecal testing and pending results for another to be sure. I will also bring up the PCR fecal.

The current thought is his GI microbe and system is jacked from the parasites and medications. Pred to help reduce inflammation. Metro to counteract any infection due to lining being disrupted. Vet said if blood can get in GI, then bacteria from GI can get out. I think IBD is a possibility. The vet mentioned testing for feline coronavirus/FIP next if this round of medications don't work. I wasn't sure what that was during the appt, but have since done more research and really hoping that isn't it. Definitely sent me into a swirling panic! Staying positive as he doesn't have the common signs of FIP. He is seemingly healthy and happy -- if you didn't look at his poops. Lots of energy and hungry boy. I did let the cattery know about the giardia and parasite, so I hope they take care of that!

All of these suggestions are so helpful, so please keep them coming! Its been a rough frustrating day, but motivated to keep researching to help out my boy.