Seeking Advice On Kitten Who Likes To Play In Water Dish And Spills All The Water

Staceybush96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 16 week kitten recently started "playing" in the water dish. The problem is when she does this she spills all the water and then has no water for the whole day when I'm at work. Not to mention makes a huge mess on the floor. I've tried putting two dishes out but then I just come home to twice a much mess to clean up and two empty water dishes. I've had her for three months and she never did this before till 4 days ago. Now she does it as soon as I bring the water dish in. She runs over to the water dish and puts her paw right in and starts splashing around. I'm not sure what to do as I've got two other cats that are also going without water because of this kitten. Has anyone else ever had this problem and what did they do? Is there a water dish that would be better to use to discourage this behavior?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The simple answer is a fountain. Some water loving kittens grow out of it my Sqeeker didn't. We got a fountain and have had dry floors since. The maintenance of one might seem daunting but it becomes routine quickly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless she actually splashes all of the water out of the fountain, that would be your best bet. IF she is one of the rare cats who will do that, something like a Lixit bottle may be a solution of last resort. Cats catch on to using them very quickly. I have one for Hekitty that she uses when crated for travel.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL My cat used to put toys in her water bowl and is now a faucet drinker. She also made messes, but did it by taking her wet mouse out of the bowl

If you don't want to get a fountain (which is high maintenance and uses electricity), buy non-slip water bowls that can't tip over.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are some excellent one on the market, generally advertised for large dogs. Of course, if you're dealing with a "splasher," you'll want to set that bowl on some sort of pan with a low lip.