Seeking Advice for Chronic Idiopathic Cystitis

TortieCat94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my first time posting here. My ongoing saga is that I have a 4 year old female cat (tortoiseshell) that has been struggling with chronic idiopathic cystitis for 3 months straight (I believe she’s had mild symptoms for the past year or 2, but they never progressed to painful attack/blood until these past 3 months). I’m just looking for any advice and experience from other people who have dealt with this as I’m running out of ideas.

Background:
-I live in a 1,000 sq foot apartment with her and another young male cat who I’ve raised since a kitten, I have 2 litter boxes with 2 different types of litter, 2 cat trees, 2 auto-feeders, a fountain and water dishes all over my apartment.
-She has been eating prescription dry food for 2 months (Hills multi-care stress) and gets half a can of urinary care wet food plus supplemented broth
-She is a nervous / high anxiety cat that hates new people, strange noises etc. she has never grown out of this anxiety
- She is 14 lbs but ideally should be 11 lbs. I’m trying to work on this without adding more stress to her life
- My young male cat is a bully towards her but she doesn’t hide from him. They both coexist in the apartment and I do my absolute best to try to give them equal attention and love. I am able to leave them alone for 8 hour work days and they don’t hurt each other. He is the main cause of her stress.

Treatment and Changes I’ve already made:

- She received a full set of tests last month at the vet, and they determined there was no bacterial infection in the urine and no crystals, they took and x-ray and saw no stones in the bladder so the vet determined it is idiopathic
- I have 2 feliway plug-ins going in the main areas of my apartment
- I supplement her wet food with extra broth and water
- I’ve made an effort to stay home and spend more time with her since the main incident that triggered the flare-up (me going on vacation for 4 days)
- I clean the litter boxes more frequently
- I have given gabapentin occasionally for pain

I am looking at now trying supplementation with marshmallow root, etc using one of the bladder strengthening supplements on the market. I’m also looking and full wet food only diet but I am nervous about the expense of doing this for two cats. I’m also looking into a trial of Prozac to see if that helps her anxiety, but my vet cautioned that it could cause more stress to her by trying to force medication down her throat everyday than it’s worth.

I don’t want to think about the possibility of re-homing one of my babies because they are both extremely attached to me.
if any one has any further advice about what worked for their kitty, please let me know!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
The bladder support supplement can help.

wet food only diet but I am nervous about the expense of doing this for two cats.
You might want to consider utilizing microchip activated feeders because he still needs phosphorus whereas for her I assume the food is low/no phos?

Assuming that, you might do an ingredient and nutritional content comparison by dry matter basis between the canned food you're giving her and the Weruva brands including their WX varieties.

I don't know, but maybe the prozac could be made into a transdermal form and applied to her ear?

Since she's not on any meds, you might consider CBD (it can decrease the effectiveness of medication).

Also see if Cat Music helps, and try taking him for walks to work off some energy and get his mind involved in other things.

Some people have cats that simply can't be in the same area of the house together. For her health you might need to think about setting up a part of your house just for her, where he's not allowed.

Last edited:

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some ideas: do you play with her one on one with a pole type of toy? The boy should be put in a separate room with something engaging while you are doing this. I mention it because it sounds like she could use more confidence and “hunting, catching, and killing” builds a cats confidence.

Are there enough resources in the home? By this I mean things the cats can “own” and really get their scent into. Cat beds, scratching posts, cubby holes. You mention two cat trees, are they big enough that both cats can use them without the boy bugging her or bullying her out of it?

How “catified” is your home? Are you able to put up cat shelves or are there high up places they can climb? It might help your anxious girl to have high up places where she can confidently watch her domain and keep an eye on the bully’s whereabouts.

Lastly, the litter boxes should be in separate spots so if her brother is in one spot she can go to another spot. They should not be put in something like a closet where she can get ambushed by her brother and feel trapped. Ideally, three boxes in three different places out in the open with unblocked entry and exits and no lids. Easier said than done in an apartment, and no one wants a litter box in the middle of their living or dining room, but if it helps your girl, it might be worth it. And if the situation starts to improve, the litter boxes could possibly slowly be moved to more convenient spots.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to all the good suggestions above, I can only add one other thought. Oftentimes, cystitis involves bladder inflammation - which doesn't always have to lead to an infection, but can be the source of blood in the urine due to the irritation of the bladder wall. I don't believe inflammation would necessarily show up on an x-ray. Ask your vet about trying an anti-inflammatory to see if that helps any.

I have to say that if you can get gabapentin down your cat, an anti-inflammatory med or Prozac wouldn't seem to be such a big issue. My cat takes some of her meds in a bite of her food, lickable treats, and/or pill pockets, but gabapentin was one thing that she wasn't going to take without an absolute fight no matter how I tried to give it to her. I tried 4-5 different compounding versions, and she still would have nothing to do with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TortieCat94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since she's not on any meds, you might consider CBD (it can decrease the effectiveness of medication).
Thank you for your input. Regarding CBD, have you seen good results from this? My local pet store has it in liquid form. I considered getting it and mixing it with Churro Cat tube treats and just giving to both cats to see if it mellowed them out, but it is $50 for a small bottle so I didn’t want to waste money for no benefit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TortieCat94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some ideas: do you play with her one on one with a pole type of toy? The boy should be put in a separate room with something engaging while you are doing this. I mention it because it sounds like she could use more confidence and “hunting, catching, and killing” builds a cats confidence.

Lastly, the litter boxes should be in separate spots so if her brother is in one spot she can go to another spot. They should not be put in something like a closet where she can get ambushed by her brother and feel trapped. Ideally, three boxes in three different places out in the open with unblocked entry and exits and no lids.
Thanks very much. I agree with these two points a lot. I’m trying to engage in more playtime with her and she plays even while she’s experiencing her discomfort episodes which is a good sign. I wish I could give her outside time but my apartment is high up and I live in a cold winter climate (blizzarding currently). I will also purchase a large 3rd litter box to give her somewhere to go no matter what room of the house she’s in.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to D-mannose, which is good for maintenance that keeps bacteria from adhering to the bladder walls, Marshmallow Root is used for prompt relief of symptoms. If you use cornsilk, you can use dried or fresh but make sure to use organic because corn & wheat are some of the most tainted crops including fungicides, pesticides, rodenticide. Cornsilk tea is tasty and when presented with a fresh ear of corn, many cats enjoy nibbling the leaves (similar benefits) and the silk. Be sure to consult a holistic vet and your own vet who is familiar with your cat.