Seeking advice: excessive drooling while eating much less than usual (+ more info inside)

floofernutter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I want to preface this by saying that I have already been to the vet, and have had a physical exam, CBC + Urinalysis completed, and are currently trying a medication (more info on this below.) I wanted to put my questions out there to the group to see if anyone else had similar experience or suggestions for things to check that we haven't thought of! ( If the medication does not help in a few days we are going back to the vet.)

My cat: 13 year old male Maine coon, indoor, very active/social, no previous health issues. For about a week now he has been eating much less than usual. He seems interested in food, will often walk up to it but will sniff and turn away. He'll wake us up in the morning as usual for feeding time, but eat a little bit and walk away. Same for the PM feeding. We've tried different flavors, dry vs wet (he seems to much prefer dry food these days, until now he vastly preferred wet food). Often if I bring dry food to him in my hand he'll eat some out of it. He will eat treats. I should mention that this cat under normal circumstances has a voracious appetite, and we normally have to dish it out in portions so that he doesn't eat too fast and throw up.

The vet checked his eyes, mouth, belly, all fine. No weight loss (actually a little gain if anything). His blood and urine were the "picture of health" as the vet said - his numbers were much better than expected for a cat of his age, we were told. He had a full dental cleaning/exam last September. However, he just is not eating normally. We noticed that his mouth is watering SIGNIFICANTLY when he does eat - to where his dry food in the bowl is damp. I've never seen so much come from my cat's mouth. He leaves a trail of drips everywhere. Typically after eating some dry he will go right to his water bowl and lap up a good amount of water. He has not been coughing, sneezing, or even hacking like there's a hairball about to come up. His litterbox habits are normal, with regular "output". He does not act like he is in pain. He seems to be at about 75% in terms of his regular levels of activity - he'll chase toys and treats, roam around the house, etc. He has never displayed cowering/hiding behavior and follows his typical daily routine (my partner and I both WFH and he has his "spots" that he goes to to nap while we're working.). One thing I did notice is that he is a lot less "vocal" than usual. He's normally howling around food times, and wake up time. He is normally not shy about using his voice to get our attention but he seems more 'muted' lately.

The vet suggested he may have a sore throat so we are currently trying a medication for that - Sucralfate. we've done 2 doses so far and we haven't seen a change yet.

I'm wondering if anyone here might have experience with this type of issue or any suggestions for things we might check. The drooling seems to suggest to me a mouth/throat issue but I am just stumped. Thanks for reading.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it was me, I'd probably ask for xrays (or more advance imaging) to see if there is anything in his throat/mouth that wasn't visible to the naked eye. Drooling is usually either in result to a mouth problem or stress and stress doesn't seem to be a factor. If that didn't show anything (or the vet didn't want to humor me), I'd get a second opinion.

I recently went through misdiagnosed dental problems with a rabbit. Without going into it too much, the second vet found serious issues the first vet missed either because they just lacked the knowledge or didn't use technology. The long and short is, if you have every reason to believe something is wrong then please get a second opinion sooner rather than later. You don't want to end up relying on a vet saying that nothing is wrong when something clearly is. I am not saying is is malicious on your current vets side, but they could just be missing something a new set of eyes will catch.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excessive drooling is supposed to indicate nausea. It's awful general, but you might explore that issue after you've ruled out other mouth issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

floofernutter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to both. I forgot to mention that at the first vet visit, the vet gave subQ Cerenia. Our cat came home and started chowing for a little bit, but was back to unenthusiastic eating at the evening's meal and onward.