Sedation with dex-mederomidine and butorphanol

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I’m wondering if anyone has experience with their vet using butorphanol and dex-mederomidine to sedate their cat? My 17 year old guy needs sedation for blood work (he’s a complete maniac when they attempt to draw blood). We’ve tried gabapentin and it’s not enough to calm him down, even at higher doses. So the vet recommend we do sedation. He needs labs for his wellness check and also to monitor his kidneys as he has stage 1/2 CKD. I’m hoping there are other cat parents who have experience using this combination of drugs for sedation as I’m pretty nervous about it due to his age. Thanks so much for any input!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know anything about dexmedetomidine, but Feeby received a very small dose of butorphanol for her first ultrasound - used to calm her so that they could shave her abdomen. In the small dose she received it acted more like a calming agent than a sedative. It is fast acting, short lived, and if she was groggy from it, I couldn't even tell. You might want to ask the vet why they are wanting to use this combination of drugs, athough I have read butorphanol is often combined with a sedative if it is to be used as a premedicant.
Dexmedetomidine Dose For Dogs & Cats | Vet Drugs List (vet-ebooks.com)
Butorphanol Dose For Dogs & Cats | Vet Drugs List (vet-ebooks.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about dexmedetomidine, but Feeby received a very small dose of butorphanol for her first ultrasound - used to calm her so that they could shave her abdomen. In the small dose she received it acted more like a calming agent than a sedative. It is fast acting, short lived, and if she was groggy from it, I couldn't even tell. You might want to ask the vet why they are wanting to use this combination of drugs, athough I have read butorphanol is often combined with a sedative if it is to be used as a premedicant.
Dexmedetomidine Dose For Dogs & Cats | Vet Drugs List (vet-ebooks.com)
Butorphanol Dose For Dogs & Cats | Vet Drugs List (vet-ebooks.com)
Thank you so much for this! It really is helpful. I feel better after reading and researching the two different drugs. Thanks so much again!!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That would not be my first choice for a senior cat. It’s a drug that can be fine in young cats but cats with any heart problems it isn’t a good choice. Not that your cat has heart problems but since most heart disease in cats goes undetected, I wouldn’t risk it.

Trazadone can be added along with the Gabapentin for a good sedation without having to go with injectable meds.

Is this a cat vet or a mixed practice?

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately he gets really sick (throwing up) when he’s taken Trazodone and the gabapentin doesn’t work at all, even in high doses. He sees cats and dogs but is also a traveling vet for owners with cats. We thought having him come to the house would settle him down enough to where it would be possible to get labs but they still couldn’t get him to cooperate. I’ll definitely double check with him about the heart related issues that could arise. Thanks so much for replying!

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That would not be my first choice for a senior cat. It’s a drug that can be fine in young cats but cats with any heart problems it isn’t a good choice. Not that your cat has heart problems but since most heart disease in cats goes undetected, I wouldn’t risk it.

Trazadone can be added along with the Gabapentin for a good sedation without having to go with injectable meds.

Is this a cat vet or a mixed practice?
Is it one specific drug or the combination of both that you think isn’t ideal?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is the Dexdomitor (dexmedetomidine hydrochloride)
If you read all of the product insert I linked below, you will have a better understanding as to why I don't like it.

That is to bad about the Trazadone. If the Gabapentin isn't working at high doses, I am assuming you are talking about 200mg, then he is so fearful he is over-riding his sedation with adrenaline. Poor cat must be very stressed. That's to bad they can't take his blood at your house.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The crazy thing is they actually do come to my house as he’s also a traveling vet. They can’t ever get him to stay still, even at the highest gaba dose. I have another vet that I’ve used before who has gotten blood from him in the past, and I’m considering just taking him there instead of risking sedation. He gets labs every 6 months and I don’t want to have to sedate him every time. Thank you for the link! I don’t think I want to rush it.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The crazy thing is they actually do come to my house as he’s also a traveling vet. They can’t ever get him to stay still, even at the highest gaba dose. I have another vet that I’ve used before who has gotten blood from him in the past, and I’m considering just taking him there instead of risking sedation. He gets labs every 6 months and I don’t want to have to sedate him every time. Thank you for the link! I don’t think I want to rush it.
*risk

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know where they are trying to get blood from? Is it the back leg? Is he food motivated? How does he feel about toys?

For the highly reactive cats, I have found that it starts in the carrier and by the time they get to the hospital, they are so wound up that little will help. What I have done in the past is have a game plan. Make sure getting the cat into the carrier isn’t stressful. This requires getting them used to the css as trier at home. Leaving it out, even feeding them in it. It is good if you have a treat motivated cat, to train them to go into the carrier with one word.

Once cat is in carrier cover it with a dark feliway sprayed towel. Be careful not to jostle and place still covered in car. Once in the car keep it quiet. No music, no loud vents blowing air. Call vet from parking lot.

Cat goes directly into exam room. Top off carrier and you hold kitty while gently only laying the lower portion of cat lateral. Assistant comes on one side and using only one hand, occludes vein for the vet. Vet draws blood from back leg after putting lidocaine gel on leg and then wiping off. You feed churro or whatever cat wants to eat.

Sh Ed n they have the blood, no bandage. Just gently place your finger over gif puncture where the blood was drawn for a minute and back into the carrier.

That’s how I have done it in the past. It works on some cats but requires people to not be people. No talking or looking at the cat’s face. You have to be shock but not rushed with minimal restraint.

With one very reactive cat that didn’t like treats, I put one of the friendly not afraid of cats, parakeet in his cage in the room with the cat to watch and it bought me enough time to get the blood sample. Not every place has bird distractions, s as nd I know it might not be fair to the bird.

I know you didn’t ask for all this information. But maybe there is something in this massive amount of text you can use.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you know where they are trying to get blood from? Is it the back leg? Is he food motivated? How does he feel about toys?

For the highly reactive cats, I have found that it starts in the carrier and by the time they get to the hospital, they are so wound up that little will help. What I have done in the past is have a game plan. Make sure getting the cat into the carrier isn’t stressful. This requires getting them used to the css as trier at home. Leaving it out, even feeding them in it. It is good if you have a treat motivated cat, to train them to go into the carrier with one word.

Once cat is in carrier cover it with a dark feliway sprayed towel. Be careful not to jostle and place still covered in car. Once in the car keep it quiet. No music, no loud vents blowing air. Call vet from parking lot.

Cat goes directly into exam room. Top off carrier and you hold kitty while gently only laying the lower portion of cat lateral. Assistant comes on one side and using only one hand, occludes vein for the vet. Vet draws blood from back leg after putting lidocaine gel on leg and then wiping off. You feed churro or whatever cat wants to eat.

Sh Ed n they have the blood, no bandage. Just gently place your finger over gif puncture where the blood was drawn for a minute and back into the carrier.

That’s how I have done it in the past. It works on some cats but requires people to not be people. No talking or looking at the cat’s face. You have to be shock but not rushed with minimal restraint.

With one very reactive cat that didn’t like treats, I put one of the friendly not afraid of cats, parakeet in his cage in the room with the cat to watch and it bought me enough time to get the blood sample. Not every place has bird distractions, s as nd I know it might not be fair to the bird.

I know you didn’t ask for all this information. But maybe there is something in this massive amount of text you can use.
This is all super helpful! I do use feliway and he really doesn’t mind his carrier. The vet that came to the house tried to get it from his neck which is also where the actual vet draws it from. He absolutely freaks out even more when they try to get blood from his leg.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They can’t use alcohol swabs on him because he’s allergic, it brings on an asthma attack.