Search threads

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to search threads to find out a answer, before starting a new thread? I'm thinking cause if we can search first to see if something's already been asked in the site help area, if the staff have already answered something they're not then answering the same things every 5 minutes, which will free up time for other stuff they might have to do? Whether its forum related, or real life stuff?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Click on the word "SEARCH" in the upper right hand corner. It will bring up a box where you can put whatever you are looking for. There are a few options, but you don't have to use them. It will show forum/cat related topics and also social topics in the threads which are not about cats.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if we can search for a specific set of words in order? For example "cat bites my fingers" . In some site you can put quotes around the words and only if those words are found in order will the results show up. Can we do something similar on this site?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Does anyone know if we can search for a specific set of words in order? For example "cat bites my fingers" . In some site you can put quotes around the words and only if those words are found in order will the results show up. Can we do something similar on this site?
I just put 'a cat bites my fingers' into the search engine, and it brought up this thread first, as it was the only one with those words in that order. I know that in some places putting '...' around will only bring up the order, but we don't have that option here.
But the first ones that come up will be the ones with the words as you want them, if they exist. :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Google myself. Add "site:thecatsite.com" to your search and you can sometimes get better results than the sites builtin search (which i honestly find clunky and difficult to use)

Example search for tabby
Screenshot_20231209_232911_Samsung Internet.jpg

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
IndyJones IndyJones you end up with 'tabby' in all areas of the site. With the advanced search option on TCS you can chose whether you want to look in threads, articles, media etc.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also add site:thecatsite.com/threads/ or /media to refine it. Again, the sites search is very clunky at least on mobile. Maybe desktop is different.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Google myself. Add "site:thecatsite.com" to your search and you can sometimes get better results than the sites builtin search (which i honestly find clunky and difficult to use)

Example search for tabby
View attachment 465336
Learn something new everyday. Didn't know you could do that! Thankyou.