Scrathching Post For Kitten

Maymarshall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So first I'd like to apologize if this is not the correct place to post this.

The question I have is what type of scratching post should I get for a kitten who is a very destructive scratch-er?

All of my research comes up about how to deal with a destructive cat, but thats not my issue my Kitten is about 8 months old, ever since getting a post for him I haven't had issues with his scratching on anything else. So that's not the issue, the issue is he destroys them, cardboard shredded completely in hours, Rope ones torn to bits within a couple of days (this one he destroyed so much that he even started eating the post its self making him sick). I currently just replaced his post again and this time with a carpet one, but its like my cat is going out of his way to destroy it, because it was okay the first couple of days until he found the seam of the carpet now he wont scratch any where but the seam tearing small chunks off that he then tries to eat. I don't want to try any disciplinary actions that may lead to him never using the post again. I truly just want to know what post would be best for a kitten like him. I don't mind replacing them it's inevitable but when hes going through them so fast and also trying to ingest the pieces he tears off is worrisome.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you trim his nails? Now is the time to start; as he gets older, it'll be harder to train him to tolerate it.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe buy some sisal rope at the hardware store and rewrap the post?

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think this is a pretty sturdy scratch post, I have one--
SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post

And maybe bengalcatman bengalcatman might have some suggestions (if it's okay that I give a shout-out to him)
Maybe buy some sisal rope at the hardware store and rewrap the post?
Rewrap the post with 3/8th sisal from the hardware store. Be sure to get the stuff that doesn't say "oiled." Sisal rope is really the best option. Cats can sometimes get a claw caught on rug type scratchers and injure their paw... and it is probably best not to teach a cat to scratch on rugs.

Cats like to see some damage when they scratch because they are "marking" territory in addition to shedding the claw coverings. Sisal is ideal in this respect because a few fibers get raised with scratching (so it looks like scratched tree bark.) Sisal also seems to provide the right amount of resistance to shed old claw sheaths.

Some cats scratch excessively if they have anxiety or are upset about something. We had this problem with our large male Bengal (Makena) when we first got him. Now that he is settled in, no problems.

One of Makena's old scratchers that he tore up

I have a business that sells cat scratchers. From what customers tell me, the 3/8th rope lasts a LONG time. One of the scratchers (Big Scratch) uses the 3/8ths rope and is designed for large hybrids and small wildcats (Savannahs, Servals, Asian Leopards, etc.) It has also been popular in homes with multiple Bengals where regular scratchers get worn out rather quickly. Here is a comparison of the two sizes

Hard to get a pic of anything without my little "helper" Junebug getting involved :lol:

Good luck with your rambunctious cat!