Scratching Food Like Litter

Denzal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After I fill his food bowl, he scratches around it like he's trying to cover it with litter (this usually only happens when I give him the food that has a strong smell). He does the same thing outside of his litter box. Sometimes, he does it to other random things, though it's rare.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat also "digs" in front of her food bowl, but not always when I serve it. I used to have a cat who tried to bury his vomitus when he threw up (if he did not eat it) but never did that at the food bowl. I don't know why cats do it.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know what you mean. One of our litter boxes is next to the TV and sometimes Oliver will reach up to where the telly is and scratch the glass top. I don't know the reasons for this behaviour except that cats can be a bit bonkers occasionally.
Someone may give you a more knowledgeable answer.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Two potential reasons. 1) he dislikes what he is being served and is trying to bury it or 2) he really likes what he is being served and his primitive instincts say bury his catch to hide it from other predators so it is there for him when he is ready to eat again.

If he is eating just fine, I wouldn’t worry about it. If not he is signaling you to try a different food.