Scratching Carpet

kitty0930

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just moved into a nice apartment with new carpet. Does anyone know of products or something that help with my cat scratching up the carpet in the corners of the room?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best way to stop your cat scratching the carpet is to provide plenty of suitable (often more inviting) alternatives. Cardboard scratchers are wonderful for keeping my guys off the new rugs, but you can get traditional style floor/horizontal scratchers too (check out Art Motion & Sound for some fabulous ones if you have the space). Cat trees and traditional scratching posts are great too.

If you're worried, you can always fit kitty with claw covers for a while. These will vastly reduce, if not totally prevent, any damage from unwanted scratching.

How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture
Cat Furniture
Cat Trees: 12 Designs That Will Make You Go "wow!"
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second what Columbine said. My cats were scratching a new chair I bought. Since my cats don’t like the horizontal cardboard scratchers I bought two more scratching posts and placed them on either side of the chair. Whenever they scratched the chair I gently placed their paws on the posts and they scratched the posts. Now they never scratch the chair.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise