Science diet Hill dry cat food

kittykstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
I typically feed my cat science diet Hill dry cat food. However, when I opened the new bag I noticed it smelled kind of different than it usually does. I am pregnant so I wasn’t sure if my senses were just super sensitive. However when I gave out some in my cats bowl my cat came down and sat down like he was about to eat it but smelled it for a minute and left without touching it. Could I have gotten a bad batch possibly? Or do you think I’m just over reacting lol, thanks in advance!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
You can try calling customer service at Hills and see if they could possibly send you a new bag. Cats are much better with scents than humans are, so if kitty thinks something is off, it could potentially be.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Could I have gotten a bad batch possibly?
Yes, it’s certainly possible. Did you check the date on the bag? And even if it’s before the “best before “ date, it’s still possible. If you think it smells off and your kitty walked away from it, I’d get a new bag (and call customer service as Mr. Meow Mr. Meow suggested). It could be a bad batch, it could have been exposed to heat and gotten rancid, or it could have food storage mites which some cats are more sensitive to than others.