Scary pregnancy mishap now im worried

Mynxli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Missandei is pregnant and this is her first time, a couple days ago she went into what i think was a false labor?? She started to leak red and yellowish fluid so i thought she was going to have the litter but after starting that she acted completely normal and only had random sporadic contractions but never actually long stretches on straining and pushing. Then 2 1/2 days later she starts to really push more and more and I realize that this kitten is stuck, after a couple of hours of straining she gets the kitten to where I'm able to assist in pulling out the kitten. It was stillborn. But it looked pretty far along because there was claws and fur but the head seemed a little soft and so did the chest and the face was slightly disfigured but i suspect this couldve come from being born with no membanes and being stuck in the canal for awhile. She's still pregnant with the rest of the litter and THAT is what scares me the most. As soon as i removed the kitten from her canal and buried it she returned to her normal self after a night of recuperating and has remained as such since. The reason i suspected the labor to be false or just to push out this kitten because she never showed any signs of real labor. No black/green/blue discharge, no gelatinous discharge either. And she was eating normally and drinking even while she was tryin for 2 days to push out the stillborn. And after the stillborn was removed she literally stopped any contractions. Shes been 100% normal since then in demeanor and everything. But im still nervous something else is gonna happen. I've seen a couple people's threads go through similar situations so I wanted some advice or just positive thoughts from other like minded cat lovers and owners seeing as to how barely anyone in real life seems to care because "It's just a cat" 🙄

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat Missandei is pregnant and this is her first time, a couple days ago she went into what i think was a false labor?? She started to leak red and yellowish fluid so i thought she was going to have the litter but after starting that she acted completely normal and only had random sporadic contractions but never actually long stretches on straining and pushing. Then 2 1/2 days later she starts to really push more and more and I realize that this kitten is stuck, after a couple of hours of straining she gets the kitten to where I'm able to assist in pulling out the kitten. It was stillborn. But it looked pretty far along because there was claws and fur but the head seemed a little soft and so did the chest and the face was slightly disfigured but i suspect this couldve come from being born with no membanes and being stuck in the canal for awhile. She's still pregnant with the rest of the litter and THAT is what scares me the most. As soon as i removed the kitten from her canal and buried it she returned to her normal self after a night of recuperating and has remained as such since. The reason i suspected the labor to be false or just to push out this kitten because she never showed any signs of real labor. No black/green/blue discharge, no gelatinous discharge either. And she was eating normally and drinking even while she was tryin for 2 days to push out the stillborn. And after the stillborn was removed she literally stopped any contractions. Shes been 100% normal since then in demeanor and everything. But im still nervous something else is gonna happen. I've seen a couple people's threads go through similar situations so I wanted some advice or just positive thoughts from other like minded cat lovers and owners seeing as to how barely anyone in real life seems to care because "It's just a cat" 🙄
Normally, the situation isnt that unusual. Delivery of one, perhaps premature stillborn... And a couple of days later, the rest of the batch, hopefully healthy and normal delivery...
And the overall advice is, if she is OK, no visible troubles, do watch out, but wait and see...

Also the overall advice, if you have anything containing lotsa of calcium, and she likes it, give it to her, whatever she takes. goats milk, cheese, kmr... Whatever. Because lack of calcium may cause weak labor.

Its difficult to seen from aside, to know what was exactly happening... Here especielly as she HAD a difficult labor... Was it difficult because she wasnt really prepared for a delivery?? And the delivery wasnt a normal hormonally directed delivery with the body fully prepared, but some crash emergency getting rid of a dead body...
Or is it becuase she is smallish inside??

HAS she dropped? Ie suddenly seems smaller? Im not talking about the situation she actually got rid of 1 kitten. Before it for example.... If so, they are decently matured.

If you have access to a vet experienced with obstetrics, it would be wise to consult him... Ie the best way to play it safe.

The problem is, if the vet you have access to is a so so vet, he prob wont know much what to do....
And he will prob take a cesarean, not because its necessary but because it is what he is able to do and he thinks its expected of him...
The problem is; a cesarean usually saves the queen, but goes hard on the kittens. And if they are premature, it goes on double as hard... Kittens, unlike human babies, dont manage well to be delivered as premature...

That is why we, in most cases, if momma is OK no visible troubles, recommend to observe, prepare; but wait and see.

I hope my words have helped you some...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mynxli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Normally, the situation isnt that unusual. Delivery of one, perhaps premature stillborn... And a couple of days later, the rest of the batch, hopefully healthy and normal delivery...
And the overall advice is, if she is OK, no visible troubles, do watch out, but wait and see...

Also the overall advice, if you have anything containing lotsa of calcium, and she likes it, give it to her, whatever she takes. goats milk, cheese, kmr... Whatever. Because lack of calcium may cause weak labor.

Its difficult to seen from aside, to know what was exactly happening... Here especielly as she HAD a difficult labor... Was it difficult because she wasnt really prepared for a delivery?? And the delivery wasnt a normal hormonally directed delivery with the body fully prepared, but some crash emergency getting rid of a dead body...

HAS she dropped? Ie suddenly seems smaller? Im not talking about the situation she actually got rid of 1 kitten. Before it for example.... If so, they are decently matured.

If you have access to a vet experienced with obstetrics, it would be wise to consult him... Ie the best way to play it safe.

The problem is, if the vet you have access to is a so so vet, he prob wont know much what to do....
And he will prob take a cesarean, not because its necessary but because it is what he is able to do and he thinks its expected of him...
The problem is; a cesarean usually saves the queen, but goes hard on the kittens. And if they are premature, it goes on double as hard... Kittens, unlike human babies, dont manage well to be delivered as premature...

That is why we, in most cases, if momma is OK no visible troubles, recommend to observe, prepare; but wait and see.

She is a relatively smaller cat so i was thinkin she might be small inside too, as for whether or not she dropped it's kinda hard to determine, even tho shes small in frame she's a healthy eater, and not obese but shes healthy heavy and has a super low hanging primordial pouch even before pregnancy. I've thought she was pregnant before but she just was full of food 🤣 her nipples haven't changed in color, they're still regular pink and they don't leak either but i can feel that they're filling because they're warm to the touch and the ones on her pouch are a little firm. And for calcium, can i give her lactose free cows milk? I saw someone say they gave theirs eggshells but I've no clue how to even go about that. I'll try to upload a pic so you can see her.

Mynxli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Also thank you for taking the time to answer 🙌🏽

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is a relatively smaller cat so i was thinkin she might be small inside too, as for whether or not she dropped it's kinda hard to determine, even tho shes small in frame she's a healthy eater, and not obese but shes healthy heavy and has a super low hanging primordial pouch even before pregnancy. I've thought she was pregnant before but she just was full of food 🤣 her nipples haven't changed in color, they're still regular pink and they don't leak either but i can feel that they're filling because they're warm to the touch and the ones on her pouch are a little firm. And for calcium, can i give her lactose free cows milk? I saw someone say they gave theirs eggshells but I've no clue how to even go about that. I'll try to upload a pic so you can see her.
Knowing IF she dropped helps to pinpoint exact how near is the delivery.... Now its just a guess...

Lactose free milk should go OK, but if you can get goats milk, its best. Another option is youghurt...

Egg shell; you boil the egg, peel off the hard, try to take of the thin skin inside, and crush everything into a fine powder... And sprinkle this powder on cat food...
Its quite effective, the egg shell is almost pure calcium.

Mynxli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Knowing IF she dropped helps to pinpoint exact how near is the delivery.... Now its just a guess...

Lactose free milk should go OK, but if you can get goats milk, its best. Another option is youghurt...

Egg shell; you boil the egg, peel off the hard, try to take of the thin skin inside, and crush everything into a fine powder... And sprinkle this powder on cat food...
Its quite effective, the egg shell is almost pure calcium.
Thank so much for your help i'll try the milk and the eggshell both!