Scared Of Outside...?

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This week I started to introduce my 6 month old to the outdoors. I live on the 6th floor and he has always loved looking outside.

A few days ago I brought him out with a harness and he was so scared! He just sat low on the grass shaking. He wanted me to hold him and when I did he would borrow close to me (still shaking). I took him out again yesterday and same thing.

Is this common? How can I get him more acclimated to being outside?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats really are just scared of going outside, especially if they've been bred and raised as indoor only kitties. Sometimes the best thing to do is respect their feelings on the matter and not push them. I know mservant mservant 's boy had a similar reaction when she tried taking him out in a harness, and he certainly won't be the only one.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe instead of a leash and harness you can try a pet stroller instead. Some cats prefer to enjoy the outdoors while confined. There are some cats who just don't like being outside no matter what and that's ok :agree: It's perfectly ok for a cat to live strictly indoors and never go outside except for the occasional trip to the vet in a carrier.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Columbine is right about Mouse, I tried taking him outside when he was a few months old, after a period of trying to get him used to being out in the communal areas of the apartment block. He tolerates the communal areas of the block if I take him out there but he doesn't venture out of his own choosing. Going out other than in his basket never succeeded. He clung to me like a limpet and looked so unhappy I gave up trying to persuade him it might be fun out there.
In the apartment he is lord of the manor and confident about everything. It is so strange to see how different he is as soon as he is out of his own territory.

Of my two previous cats, one of them would do everything she could to escape and get to the outdoors and the other one (her litter sister) would cower at the door and never step over. If I carried her out in to the communal areas she would shake so much I feared she might pee on me. Poor baby. They were actually raised outdoors and only came indoors at around 10 weeks when I adopted them. Mouse was always indoor as were his parents, and very content to be so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
awwww, I honestly just assumed all cats would love the outdoors. I'm going to try a few more times to see if he gets used to it, but it not, then you're right - I won't push him.

I would love to get him a pet stroller, they're too cute. and I think he would love it! I just don't think I would be brave enough to take him out to the park for a walk :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love the idea of a pet stroller! I bet you'd get to meet all kinds of people who'd stop to look at your "baby". :catrub:

About your cat loving to look outside, pretty much all cats love looking out the window, aka "Kitty TV". ;) My Ruby spends hours in her condo gazing out the window. And she'll run from window to window if she sees another cat. But Ruby has no interest in actually going outside. I think, as a former stray, she knows she's got it good living inside where it's safe and warm.

So don't feel you have to let your kitten outside. He might be absolutely fine watching the outside world from his window.

Here's a TCS article on Harness And Leash Training For Cats that might have some tips for you.

Has your kitten been neutered yet? If not, before long he'll definitely be showing an interest in going outside. :evilgrin:

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
Colette did exactly the same thing! I think our first "walk" was about 3 months. She either cowered at my feet (poor thing!) or I held her and carried her around the block. The great outdoors is really intimidating.

She does love passing the time in the screened-in patio. She may only be comfortable with "outside" at that proximity, but we still work on harness training. I'm trying wand & clicker training to get her to understand how to walk on a leash but we're just starting out with that.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your boy may be smelling the territory is already 'owned' by another cat or two. If it was my boy I would do harness time the same time every day. I would sit in the doorway and read or play games on my phone. Let him sniff & venture at his own pace... and always let him lead you back to home when he wants. A two minute outside the door sniff is a victory :) Then someday it can be 10 minutes... then dragging him home to eat his dinner. It is scary being the new kid on the block, especially if you were home schooled ;)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can push the stroller inside the apartment hallways and common areas like the lobby. Sometimes that's all the "outdoor" a cat needs.

Bird watching from windows is plenty for many cats :) Just be sure the window screens are secure or keep the window open no more than a few inches to keep your cat from tumbling out if he decides to "catch" a bird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took him out again yesterday for about 20 minutes. He's OK with me putting the harness on but as soon as he realized we were going out, he ran under the bed :(

I managed to get him outside, but he did the same thing- shaking like crazing and laying low in the grass not moving. He seemed interested, though.

I just thought it would be nice to give him the option to play outdoors (with my supervision of course). Our little guy is home alone all day while my husband and I are at work so I want to keep things interesting so he doesn't get bored in the condo.

I guess the great outdoors isn't for everyone!