Scared of Kittens!

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love cats, however after an experience years ago with adopting a kitten that ended up extremely ill with FIP and ending up having no chance of survival, I'm scared of kittens. It's kitten season and I'd love to adopt one to raise to be comfortable with humans from a young age. Can anyone help me get over my fear of kittens? Other than the cats I had before my FIP experience, many cats to grow up and survive kitten hood without such illnesses, correct? My FIP experience hurt me really bad and I don't know if I can take it again. Does anyone know what chances that I'd have to experience another kitten having FIP?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nobody could ever know what kind of kitten, healthy-wise, they are bringing home.
It could be a totally healthy and issue-free cat that will live 20 years, or it could be a kitten that looks healthy at the beginning and then it develops or shows new diseases, some treatable, some not.

I had a few cats and kittens in my life, both mine and fosters. Furthermore, I am taking care of several ferals of all ages. Some grew up to be seniors, some had issues that impaired their health, others died young, even very young. One of the kittens I had at home died at about 10 weeks of age. It's always devastating, regardless of the age of the cat

What should lead your heart to a kitten is the fact that you are filling its world with your love, and that whatever age it will leave you, it will leave this world knowing what love is.

As for FIP, please notice that there's a cure for it now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As noted above, there simply are no guarantees, but you shouldn't not adopt based on "what if?". You could adopt a kitten who gets sick, or you could adopt an adult who could also get sick. On the other hand, you could adopt either of those and they could live long and healthy lives. Just be sure to get them their vaccines (if a kitten at least) and have a Vet check-up as needed (we go twice annually for our seniors unless an issue comes up) and take a chance on love again :catrub:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes it's possible to have a kitten who doesn't get fip. most kittens never get fip. most kittens live to be healthy adults. some don't. in my life I've (luckily) only had one that died young that wasn't in an accident. he had a heart defect. most cats have also been exposed to the virus that causes it. ALL kittens give me the scares though. I have two right now and I'm TERRIFIED for them. I"m terrified of introducing them to my two older cats. honestly massive anxiety over it but odds are everyone will be fine at the end of it. we happened to find two kittens who were pair bonded so that's what we got but in all honesty if you want a little less stress go for a couple younger cats who are pair bonded. I was leaning that way but I didn't personally find the two I wanted before I fell ln love with the two I found.

its scary and yes you could find tragedy again.. but fip is treatable now although expensive and a little black market. but more likely you'll just find a couple little babies to fall in love with and you'll enrich their lives as much as you enrich theirs. sometimes you just have to dive in.