Scardy Cat

Kikkz_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is absolutely petrified of going outside since he got bashed by the neighbourhood bully (big nasty stray cat) TWICE.

The first time occurred when this cat jumped the fence and tackled my cat into the garden and was literally trying to kill him. He ended up with two swollen back paws and a few scratches. I scared that cat off and thought that would be the end. My cat at this point still kept going outside the backyard and the front and wasn't scared or anything even though he got injured.

The second time my cat was sitting under my car outside and just relaxing till I heard them screaming and having a brawl, I ran out and stopped it - and once again scared the cat away. He has not come back since, but ever since the second time my little baby has been scared to go outside the front and have a bit of a walk. He won't even walk far when I walk him myself.

Can someone help me to teach him that it's okay to leave the house for a little bit.
(For those who say be glad he's an inside cat now, he's very upset about and it's caused him to be very jumpy).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Any time a cat has a fright they may be jumpy for days. It isn’t because he wants to go out, it is because of what happened out thekre. When he calms down give him the option to go out. If he chooses not to you can wait a few more days and offer it to him again. You do not want to in any way force him outside and if he goes outside he should be supervised and allowed back in the second he wants in. If he never wants outside again, respect his decision.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH...and if the bully continues to frequent your yard looking for your cat, that would cause him to be jumpy, even if he is inside. I mean, that cat could get in there, right? He got in the yard, after all! That's how your cat sees it.