Save cat from a crazy lady!

lenapavlyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys, I’m writing here because i need your advice! So the story is that couple days ago me and my boyfriend were sitting on the stairs outside of our house and saw a cat across the street and we decided to come closer and pet him, so when we approached he, well actually she, wasn’t scared at all and was acting very excited and started to rub her face into our hands in order for us to pet her.

So we pet her for a few minutes and then decided to come back to our house. Cat started to follow us and sat with us on our stairs, so we were playing with her on our front yard. Our doors where open because we were going in/out of the house and she just followed me inside. So when she got inside she immediately started to sniffing everything, she went to every room and when she was done we came back outside.

The thing is we thought that’s a stray cat, because she had no collar, and also we saw our neighbor from across the street and he said that every morning last 3 or 4 weeks she’s been sleeping under his stairs outside. So we thought that cat maybe got lost or that she’s stray, we couldn’t figure it out, so neighbor did a picture of her and said he would post on facebook in some neighborhood group and ask people. She was chilling with us whole day till evening and my boyfriend went to the store and got food for her and then we took her inside and she ate and then she was just exploring the house and later sleeping.

After a couple hours we had to go to the bed and we couldn’t keep her inside because we didn’t have any litter and we decided that we leave her outside and in the morning we will decide what we gonna do with her. Next day we woke up and she was sitting outside our house when she saw us coming outside she was so happy we let her inside and gave her food and she was just so sweet, she would follow me in every room and rub her face in my hands and legs. We decided to get her to the vet so they can check her and tell us if she is alright and check is there a microchip.

We called maybe like 5 different vets but they all didn’t have time the same day only in 2+ weeks and they recommended to go to suburbs because over there vets are not so busy as in a big city. Anyway I saw that in 2 days I can schedule an appointment in pet co like 15 miles from our house. Then we went to petsmart and got more food for cat, treats, collar(really cute with watermelons), toys, litter, wet napkins to wipe a cat(she wasnt clean at all)well everything that she is going to need. We came back home, let her in and were watching movies half of the night, and all this time she would follow us in every room, when we were sitting in the couch she would lay down as close to me as possible, like she couldn’t get enough of our attention and wanted to be pet every second. So she was like 6 hours with us and she wouldn’t use the litter so i decided to go outside with her but probably she just didn’t want to 💩, we came back inside for a couple more hours and then it was like 4 am and we decided to leave her outside and let her back in 9 am and then spend whole day with her inside to train her to use the litter.

Next morning I went outside but she wasn’t there! I was so scared that something bad happen to her and i started to hate myself because I left her outside! We were looking for her for couple hours but here was no sign. After like 2 hours of searching this cutie pie we saw an old lady from another house like down the street and she was just standing there and looking at us, then we went inside and open our window and started to call her by name that we gave her. And we heard a very silent meow we ran outside she was meowing a lot and we managed to find her and you wouldn’t believe she was inside of that house with old lady down the street.

She was sitting in the window behind mosquito net and just crying and meowing badly(and there was one more cat but he was quite). We started to knock in the door to talk to this lady and ask about a cat and if that’s her cat to give her everything we bought for a cat. We did knock like 20 minutes and she wouldn’t open. Cat was going crazy, we didn’t know what to do so we came back home and decided to come back to that house a little later and try to knock again, so that’s what we did but again we were just ignored, i saw a girl in a window on a second floor staring at us but nobody would open a door. Wth?

So whole day cat was sitting on that window and crying, we were coming back to that house knocking and being ignored, when cat saw as coming she would meow harder and my boyfriend he reached the mosquito net with his hand and she was again rubbing her face to the net where his hand was. Then again we meet that other neighbor and asked him if he knows that old lady and he said that she is like on the edge of going crazy. That she has also like 2 dogs and once he saw like 2 little dogs running on our street so he catch them to check their collars and who they belong to and she came out of the house and started to scream at him to not touch her dogs😳

So that day every time we would go outside cat started to cry harder(probably she was hearing our door opening because it’s very squeaky and she saw us from the window also). We thought maybe next day it’s going to be better and she would calm down but guess what? Didn’t happen! So next day(it’s today) when we were inside she wouldn’t cry(we have open window) but every time we were going outside she started to cry so much, she was sitting at the window whole day and meowing every time she see us and when we were coming near to the window she stopped and again was rubbing her face to my boyfriends hands through the net. And when later today we came back home we got out of the car called her name and she started to meow again….

Guys my heart is breaking i don’t know what to do. That old woman stopped letting her to go outside on purpose. Cat sitting whole day over there crying and she doesn’t give a ****. She didn’t even manage to buy a collar for her cat and she definitely saw that cat after days of absence came back with a collar( or probably she didn’t came back by her own will, probably old lady went outside and picked her up). Cat wants attention and to be pet but nobody cares. I just feel that it’s so bad for her over there but I don’t know what to do. Please help!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that lady is feeding the cat.
Can you check with the authorities to help you?

Was there a microchip when you checked with the vet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would continue to knock on the woman's door. Also, keep an eye out on her house to see if you can manage to find her outside at some point. And talk to other neighbors to see if you can find more information or at least verify what this one neighbor has told you. You are looking for information that would suggest there might be an issue with this woman owning pets, and without something to go on - more than what you have now - you could try calling the local SPCA and ask their opinion of how to move forward. If any of the neighbors have information to suggest there is a problem, that could go a long way in getting some attention from authorities.

I would call around to local rescue groups and ask for their advice on what other steps you might be able to take/try. They might be more receptive to advising you than the SPCA would be.

It is a long shot, but you could search for 911/wellness calls/etc. records related to that home in case there is any history of issues.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Among everything else suggested, could you leave her a note at her door? Something like "So sorry there was a mix up, your cat came over and we were worried she was lost so we took her in and didn't know she was yours. We bought her some food/etc., and as we have no other pets it's yours if you like. Please call XXX-XXXX". She probably wouldn't respond but it's worth a try, sometimes the grouchiest and most unfriendly are the ones who feel the most alone and reaching out might help her and the cat.