Salt Water Pools?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I went by a local pool/spa place yesterday. We've been talking about putting a pool in our backyard for several years so we finally went to talk to this store. Neither of us have had a pool before so I want to be sure we spend our money wisely; but get what we really want too.

Our yard is more narrow than wide so we like the oval shaped pools. I think we could get more pool for the yard that way. Plus; I'm hoping to do some kind of laps. The pool we got a quote on is 15x30 so I think I could get some exercise in it.

We still need to locate our septic drain field to be sure we CAN put a pool in the yard. (The other side of the yard has trees and our kid's playset/sandbox/etc.

The other discussion is salt vs chemicals. I've heard salt is good (not too many specific reasons why though) but it can damage the pool itself if it comes into contact with it. So if the liner ever comes down or gets a hole; it could damage the integrity of the pool itself. It also raises the initial price of the pool by almost $1,000 I think the guy said (but costs less later in chemicals/salt). He didn't really push either option. I had an allergic reaction to whatever chemicals my Aunt used to use (20 years ago) but I haven't had that issue in any other pools. Our kids both have eczema so I am considering that as well.

So much to learn! :dizzy:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this link with a nice comparison: Saltwater vs Chlorine Pool - Pros, Cons, Comparisons and Costs

I used to work at a YMCA and they switched to a saltwater pool at the last renovation. The idea being that the saltwater is gentler on the skin, bathing suits and better for health. It is important to point out that it was a heated pool and had several therapy classes throughout the day. It still does have chlorine but at a lower level and if you had a reaction to your aunts pool years ago it might be the better option.

The YMCA I worked at went bankrupt about 3 years after I left (very long story) but the building was bought by the city and they tore down everything but the pool. They are rebuilding it as a charter school and have even kept on the same maintenance guy to keep the pool going for the students and possible public lessons.

I would talk to the install guy and find out if there are any public saltwater pools in your area that you could go to to see the difference.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt and uncle have a salt water pool and they aren't physically much different than chlorine ones except you have to dump a bag of salt into them rather than using pucks in the skimmer.

You do have to watch the cell though. It can become clogged or the computer controlling it can malfunction resulting in a dirty pool. They still need to be vacuumed and backwashed to keep slime from building up.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can't say anything about salt-water pools as our pool is a standard chlorine-type pool with a sand filter. Ours is in-ground and it's 15 x 30 feet. It's more egg-shaped, I think, than a standard oval. Goes from 4 feet in the shallow end to 8 feet in the deep end (the ramp going down to the deep end can be a little steep if you're not used to it.....thinking of your kids). It's a nice size for just the two of us. I think we've had ours since 1987 or so. We don't have steps, just a ladder....most of the time, I either walk around in the shallow end, trying to get the nerve to get completely wet, or (as in the last few days), just say "Aw, the heck with it!" and jump in the deep end.

I can tell you that your kids will love a pool! And on days like we've been having, you would love the pool, too.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
One caveat. Please thoroughly check the person selling the pool. For some reason, pool sales have an exceptional number of BBB complaints. Some are for poor workmanship and many are for failure to compete the work. Other than that, I know you'll love having cool water to immerse yourself in.

Are you going to use a pool maintenance company or do it yourself? I'm sure Winchester can tell you what's necessary to keep you pool happy and healthy.

Let us know when it's done and we'll have a big CatSite pool party.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We switched our pool over to saltwater last year, best thing we ever did. It stays crystal clear, feels way better on the skin, no chlorine smell. I could go on and on and highly recommend it. Cell is simple to keep clean and after the initial addition of salt we almost never need to add more. Aside from cleaning the cell and shocking it when we opened it this spring it has been pretty maintenance free the last 2 years aside from vacuuming. We love it.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't know anything about salt pools but I did try one out at one of the gyms around here and it had a nicer feel to the water-and no chlorine smells. Go for it! But make sure you get references and LOOK at their work. Don't trust online referrals. Trust me on this. I had to redo my roof because of a good review on that company=don't be fooled by words.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salt water swimming pools use chlorine generators, and the amount of chlorine required to keep a pool "clean" in parts per million is roughly the same as with a freshwater pool.

An "healthy" pool has no chlorine smell whatsoever - the distinctive "chlorine smell" in many pools is owed to the reactive chloramines, not to chlorine itself, and is a signal that a pool needs attention desperately.

A child with eczema will fare poorly in a saltwater pool. Saltwater requires a particular algaecide suited to inhibiting the growth of specific saltwater algae, and these algaecides are almost invariably either copper or aluminum based - and are far more reactive to those afflicted with eczema than are the chemicals in a well-maintained freshwater pool. See remark 2 here at MediHelp:

"I cannot swim in salt water pools due to the algaecide used. This is often copper based and causes exzema to erupt where I am usually clear of it."

Extras: don't forget the little animals:

scamper ramp - Google Search

and the even smaller animals, like mice and those precious honeybees:

scamper ramp - Google Search

Building new, I'd consider a zero depth entry pool, which allows simpler access, and also allows animals who inadvertently go for a swim to make their egress easily and safely. Your pool contractor should be able to address Winchester Winchester 's insightful comment regarding how gradually the incline between shallow end and deep end is formed, as well as whether or not to contour the sides of the deep end with a foothold safety shelf.

Disclaimer: my pool was in place when I bought this place fifteen years ago (29' by 45' oval; old-school reinforced concrete). Two years ago, I had the plumbing reworked, and had a Gorilla Pad soft touch bottom made, with a fitted 40 mil soft-touch liner. Almost anything will damage a 20 mil liner; a 40 mil liner requires a small atomic bomb. A few extra dollars up front can save a great deal down the road.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will read those links tomorrow 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine . That sounds interesting. I have eczema; triggered by contact with cheap metals. So that is something to read more about. I don't really know what triggers my kid's eczema though.

Our pool will be an above ground one. I think it's easier to restrict kid's access to it. We already talk about how no one is allowed to swim alone or without an adult. We plan to build a deck on one side eventually. That will have a gate too. My friend's mother had stairs that lift up and lock out of reach. Plus panels around the outside of the pool.

We are still concerned about where the septic drain field is. It's not on any of the drawings we have so I guess DH gets to contact the county. Or start trying to find it with a long stick. :crazy: There were trees on that side of the yard when we bought it; so I'm hoping we will be ok. I really love to be in the water.