Salad to go with steaks?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're having a couple of friends over tonight and I was going to put some steaks on the BBQ. Anyone got a really yum salad recipe that would go well with steaks?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mmmm...something with bleu cheese I think!
There's a salad that I love that has lettuce(or spinach), bleu cheese, fried, crumbled prosciutto, red onions, greek olives, and a vinaigrette....it's sooo yummy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Mmmm...something with bleu cheese I think!
There's a salad that I love that has lettuce(or spinach), bleu cheese, fried, crumbled prosciutto, red onions, greek olives, and a vinaigrette....it's sooo yummy!
Ooooh that sounds very yummy!!! I was thinking blue cheese had to be in there somewhere too

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I usually just go with a green salad, made with red or green leaf lettuce rather than iceberg. Of course I also throw in everything but the kitchen sink. Carrots, celery, tomatoes, green and black olives, red and yellow bell peppers, cucumbers, radishes, avocados, broccoli florets, jicama. I know some people also add things like strawberries and mandarin oranges, but I don't particularly like fruit in my green salad. Offer a variety of salad dressings on the side.

To make it a little fancier I cut the tomatoes and avocados in wedges and alternate them around the edge of the salad bowl, or in a spiral over the top of the salad.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your post sent me running for the recipe box. If you like garlic and can tolerate it at this stage in your pregnancy, I've got a great recipe. It's very easy; the main issue is that you must use a wooden salad bowl and a wooden salad spoon or it doesn't work. Here goes:

Wooden bowl -
1. Salt to cover bottom of bowl. Add 4 cloves of garlic chrushed. Stir with wooden spoon until
pasty.
2. Green pepper - cut into little pieces. Add, stir, and let sit 10-15 minutes.
3. Tear up one head of lettuce and add to mix.
4. Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil in a steady stream around the inside rim of bowl.
5. Pour 1/2 cup of vinegar in a steady stream around the inside rim of bowl.
6. Add tomato wedges if desired.
7. Mix well to coat thoroughly.
8. Let stand 30-45 mintues, stirring occasionally.
9. Serve - lettuce will be a little wilted.

(The original recipe called for 3-4 pickling cucumbers cut into cubes to be mixed in after the green peppers. Since I hate cucumbers, I omit this step.)

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby romaine lettuce leaves (a mix of green and red is pretty)

One tomato, wedged

Canned white beans, drained and rinsed

Goat cheese, chunked (or lumped). Can substitute feta.

Olives

Arrange on a plate and dress with a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, crushed clove of garlic and salt a pepper.

Serve with crostini.

This is TOTALLY YUM

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I have company for dinner, I just put the lettuce(s) in a bowl and have all the other ingredients (tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, radishes, grated cheese, craisins, several kinds of toasted nuts like slivered almonds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, green onions, etc.) in small dishes around it so that everyone can add what they like to their own salad, sort of "make your own". Also have a choice of dressings, i.e., home made and several store bought since some folks don't appreciate a quality home made dressing.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

When I have company for dinner, I just put the lettuce(s) in a bowl and have all the other ingredients (tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, radishes, grated cheese, craisins, several kinds of toasted nuts like slivered almonds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, green onions, etc.) in small dishes around it so that everyone can add what they like to their own salad, sort of "make your own". Also have a choice of dressings, i.e., home made and several store bought since some folks don't appreciate a quality home made dressing.
That's a great idea!
Especially since a single slice of cucumber is capable of messing up a whole salad. Even after you throw it out of your salad bowl, you just can't get the taste out!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yep, it's an excellent approach -- everyone gets their own "faves"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a lovely spinach salad last week with my steak at a steak house. Yum!! Fabulous actually!

Spinach
Blue or Goat cheese (I had the blue cheese)
Red onion, medium diced
Mandarin Orange segments
Dried cranberries
Chopped Pecans
Light vinegrette.....light Italian...you want something mild. Typically a raspberry one is used, but this one just had a light vinegrette which was nice.

or you can go with the typical Caesar. You can't go wrong with that unless people don't like garlic or anchovies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That is a great idea! Since there will just be 4 of us this time around I think I'll just make one, but we're having a housewarming party soon, and I think I'll do that for the salad - I have the perfect little containers for it as well.