S Boulardii for IBD/pancreatitis, but no diarrhea?

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen s boulardii recommended here a number of times and am considering it for my cat. I was curious if anyone has knowledge and/or experience when it comes to using s boulardii when diarrhea is not an issue?

My cat has chronic pancreatitis and IBD. In his younger years, he did have some issues with soft stools. But after some diet changes, that cleared up and soft stools haven't been an issue for him for a number of years. The pancreatitis flare-ups are what impact him most, and they present as vomiting and hesitancy/refusal to eat. He gets treated with meds whenever he has a flare-up, so I wouldn't be using the s boulardii as a sole treatment or anything.

It sounds like it's possible the s boulardii may have some benefit to him, but it always seems to be mentioned in the context of diarrhea. I'm just wondering if it's useful outside of that context as well?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
No point in using SB if he doesn't currently have diarrhoea and isn't on Abs. Did he have any inflammation during his last ultrasound? Generally no point in giving anything unless he's having flare ups, but Adored Beast Gut Soothe is very highly rated amongst people with IBD cats Gut Soothe | Anti-Inflammatory52g It's available in Canada, the US, and the UK. Healthy gut is also good, but more for digestive upset than soothing the gut, as the names imply lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No point in using SB if he doesn't currently have diarrhoea and isn't on Abs. Did he have any inflammation during his last ultrasound? Generally no point in giving anything unless he's having flare ups, but Adored Beast Gut Soothe is very highly rated amongst people with IBD cats Gut Soothe | Anti-Inflammatory52g It's available in Canada, the US, and the UK. Healthy gut is also good, but more for digestive upset than soothing the gut, as the names imply lol.
Thank you for the info! My vet suspects that IBD may be contributing to his pancreatitis flare-ups. But we don't have direct evidence of that because with the most recent bout of pancreatitis, she diagnosed based on blood work and his symptoms. He definitely deals with recurring pancreas inflammation, but I'm not sure if the s boulardii would be in any help there or not. Thanks for the rec on the Adored Beast product! I will check that out!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
IBD is thought to be a trigger, yes, but as far as I’m aware, that’s only generally true for unmanaged IBD. With AB make sure you read the specific guidelines for cats on their product pages, as they’re not generally printed on the actual packaging 🙄 For Gut Soothe, you only need half of what a dog would at the same weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IBD is thought to be a trigger, yes, but as far as I’m aware, that’s only generally true for unmanaged IBD. With AB make sure you read the specific guidelines for cats on their product pages, as they’re not generally printed on the actual packaging 🙄 For Gut Soothe, you only need half of what a dog would at the same weight.
Appreciate the heads up on that!