s boulardi

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my kitten has had a pcr and a float test. negative for everything but has had pooh that ranges from liquid to soft to normal. we tried a number of things then s boulardi. s boulardi seems to sort it. we also have her on wet/dry and some adult fiber food. the minute we forget a dose of the s boulardi we get runny pooh again.

does anyone know what that might mean? its happened a couple times. surely they're not meant to be on s boulardi for that long. she is also getting a probiotic. this has been ongoing for almost two months now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't specifically know if using s.boulardii long term is an issue, nor do I know what other probiotic you are using. This could be a matter of the food you are feeding your kitten is impacting gut imbalances that are being corrected with the use of s.boulardii. Here is an article on s.boulardii if that might help shed any light on her possible issues.
The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats– FullBucket Health

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can be on s. boulardii as long as she needs it. The rest of her life, if need be. The only real side effect is that she might get constipated if you give her too much (probably many times what you are giving her now.) S. boulardii has some mild soothing/anti-inflammatory action. But more importantly, it has a scavenging function. It's structurally similar to the gut wall. Bad actors in the gut that attack the gut wall will get caught up in the s. boulardii and get pooped out. S. boulardii doesn't colonize in the gut like bacterial probiotics. You have to keep to giving it if she still needs it. But if you wanted to or needed to give her a break from it, it clears out of her gut completely in a few days. I've never tended kittens myself. But I'm told they all have poop issues until their gut comes of age, and their eating slows down. I don't know how long that takes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She can be on s. boulardii as long as she needs it. The rest of her life, if need be. The only real side effect is that she might get constipated if you give her too much (probably many times what you are giving her now.) S. boulardii has some mild soothing/anti-inflammatory action. But more importantly, it has a scavenging function. It's structurally similar to the gut wall. Bad actors in the gut that attack the gut wall will get caught up in the s. boulardii and get pooped out. S. boulardii doesn't colonize in the gut like bacterial probiotics. You have to keep to giving it if she still needs it. But if you wanted to or needed to give her a break from it, it clears out of her gut completely in a few days. I've never tended kittens myself. But I'm told they all have poop issues until their gut comes of age, and their eating slows down. I don't know how long that takes.

not all kittens do. her brother seems fine. occasionally more on the side of constipated but ok. there is def a percentage that do though. that seems to be where my vet is coming from though. he isn't a fan of s boulardi but its been working for us. he thinks she'll just be ok one day as her kittenhood comes to an end most likely.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you had her tested for irritable bowel? My kitty has been on s.boulardii for many years and it does help, but he's recently been experiencing some issues following a pancreatitis episode. We've started him on Adored Beast Gut Soothe and that has really helped get his poops firm and keep them that way.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you had her tested for irritable bowel? My kitty has been on s.boulardii for many years and it does help, but he's recently been experiencing some issues following a pancreatitis episode. We've started him on Adored Beast Gut Soothe and that has really helped get his poops firm and keep them that way.
i think the vet thinks she is a little young to explore that path. and that it's more common just to be a baby problem. if she's still having this issue when she's older he wants to do ultrasounds and stuff.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy had chronic diarrhea early this year and he had it straight for 3 months and in the middle of the first month I started giving him S. Boulardii twice a day and coming into the mid of the 4th month, his diarrhea was resolved and following that his poo was normal and nice.
He wasn't on any medications for his diarrhea.

After the diarrhea was resolved, I continued to give him 1/4 dose in the morning and a 1/4 dose in the evening till now and will continue to give him everyday.

There are several brands of S. Boulardii out there and you've got to get the right one.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guy started having IBD symptoms at 8 months and we started treating him at that time. How old is your kitty?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guy started having IBD symptoms at 8 months and we started treating him at that time. How old is your kitty?

they're just five months old and she's been having this issue since I got her at 3 months

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you feeding her? What flavors? I wonder if she's allergic to one of the ingredients.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding her? What flavors? I wonder if she's allergic to one of the ingredients.
the vet says if that were the case it wouldn't be an on and off again bad pooh it would be constant. but royal canin kitten food wet and dry mostly. if we take her off the s boulardi it's bad pooh but on it its fine.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be too rich for her body. That's what we were feeding our boy when he started with gastro troubles.