Runt Isn’t Doing So Well

Natasha.l.h.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
helli! My queen named Kitty, gave birth to 5 ginger kittens, 4 are healthy but the runt of the litter now seems to not be doing so well, I have kitten formula and tried feeding it but it’s simply refusing to eat. It’s 2werks old on Friday. I can’t get to a vet till after school tomorrow and was hoping for any suggestions on how to care for this little guy until I can take it in.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! I am sorry to read that your little one is not doing well. This is the stage when Mother Nature tends to do her sorting out of who has what it takes to make it. Fading Kitten Syndrome is a catch-all phase for it and it can happen in the best of professional catteries as well as in the dankest feral cat colony. But it is IMPORTANT to NOT give up - I, as well as many others here, have seen amazing miracles!
Right now, if little one is not eating, hydration and calories are extemely important as well as temperature support. A cold kitten will not eat - their digestive system is not functioning at that point and the formula will just sour in their stomach. But the brain still needs the blood sugar to keep on going so....
A) Make sure the kitten is warm enough. It is best to either remain with its litter or in a small nest with a cuddly stuffed toy & small ticking travel clock or on wrapped on your chest, with a pet heat pad or warming sock (a sock filled with rice or cornmeal and heated in the microwave and then topped with a soft cloth) alongside so the tiny can get the extra warmth but can move away to avoid hyperthermia (too hot).
B) Keep the blood sugar up by rubbing some pasteurized honey or white Karo corn syrup or diabetic paste on the kitten's gums.
C) Keep the kitten hydrated by giving UNflavored Pedialyte (store brand is fine) diluted 50/50 with filtered or bottled water (good well water is fine - I recommend water that does not have the chemicals found in municipal tap water because baby kittens have weak kidneys). If the kitten is weak, I use a dropper and give the water drop by drop, either at the front of the tongue or in the pouch between the jaw and the cheek (it is far too easy for kittens to aspirate liquid into their lungs). If you can't get pedialyte, you can use the homemade version found at www.kitten-rescue.com. (1 cup boiled, cooled water; 2 tsps sugar - I use evaporated cane sugar such as Zulka Morena or Florida Crystals raw sugar ; 1/8 tsp each salt & baking soda OR 1/4 tsp Himalayan "pink" salt)
D) Encourage the kitten often. You can stroke and speak to the kitten - it will know and understand your touch and the vibrations of the sound of your voice. It may help to give the kitten more time with the mother cat; you can try bottle feeding the stronger kittens (I prefer to use goat milk over whey based products - I like the powdered goat milk and I either make the recipe at www.kitten-rescue.com or blend goat milk with KMR; or use Breeder's Edge).
The Miracle Nipple is popular for getting kittens to nurse.
Also, there is a VERY educational, free video from Maddies Fund about caring for sick, tiny kittens that, while intended for veterinary professionals, includes information for the lay person. It is a Continuing Education class so it is lengthy (over 1 hour) but you can pause it and watch as time allows. And it is very interesting so the time goes fast. I highly recommend it for anyone who works with kittens. You can also join Maddie's Pet Forum to ask questions.
https://www.maddiesfund.org/critical-care-of-the-sick-neonatal-kitten.htm
Please keep us updated on what you do and your results. Kittens and their guardians from around the world will benefit from your experience!
Sending prayers and vibes for all your kitty family :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When he refuses to eat what are you doing?
Kittens used to momma are often reluctant to bottle.
So you must use a little syringe or a dropper. Some kittens fight tis too but still still its the way to go.
You can also try with goats milk. Some kittens prefer this taste...
helli! My queen named Kitty, gave birth to 5 ginger kittens, 4 are healthy but the runt of the litter now seems to not be doing so well, I have kitten formula and tried feeding it but it’s simply refusing to eat. It’s 2werks old on Friday. I can’t get to a vet till after school tomorrow and was hoping for any suggestions on how to care for this little guy until I can take it in.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. If your vet is used to work with weak kittens you can get much help and good advices there.

But many vets hasnt much clue,
And in such a case a rescuer or a good forum as ours are the better bet. And of course your own work and dedication.