Rubbing poo on floor

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anything other then Miralax that I can give to my cat to help him with his stools? After getting out of the box he rubs his butt on the floor to get the last parts off. It had been increasing in frequency. I also plan to call the vet and ask about it this coming week.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Let the poo dry before wiping it. If it's carpet I use Resolve foam spray. Get as much off as you can then saturate it with resolve. I've never had to give my cats miralax. Someone else will help

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is your cat long haired? The long fur back there is just prone to catching poop. You can carefully trim the hair back there as needed.

Is the poop hard or soft? Soft poop will smear as the cat rubs the butt around the floor. Firming the poop up might help. You can ask your vet for suggestions. Miralax is for constipation and just helps poop come out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your cat long haired? The long fur back there is just prone to catching poop. You can carefully trim the hair back there as needed.

Is the poop hard or soft? Soft poop will smear as the cat rubs the butt around the floor. Firming the poop up might help. You can ask your vet for suggestions. Miralax is for constipation and just helps poop come out.
The pop is hard so that’s why I was leaning to miralax.

SafariDoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Didn't hear anyone above suggest that this might be anal gland related. That can also be tied to either too soft or too hard stools.
Cats Anal Sac Problems, Cats Anal Gland Problems, Scent Gland Problems in Cats, Anal Sac Impaction (webmd.com)
Agree with FeebysOwner.

It's a good idea to also check your cat's anal glands to rule-out potential anal gland plugs, anal gland debris, etc.

Pretty sure your cat won't like this sensitive exam. Just so you know ahead of time.

If your cat's anal glands contain any thickened/hardened/impacted debris, your cat's glands can be expressed and treated.