rough fur + fur loss?

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all.
earlier today I noticed my cat, Mimi, has pretty rough fur (which is fairly normal for him, his fur has never been super soft or anything, it's just rougher now- dry too).. and after holding and petting him for a bit, I also realized he's losing a whole lot of fur... I don't see any patches with no fur or anything.

he has a pretty even diet of wet food & dry food, and he's healthy in terms of weight- but, his gums do seem a little bit red but I'm not sure if its a cause for concern seeing as he isn't showing any signs of being in pain-

He's acting normal, eating normal, drinking normal, playing normal.. the only thing going on with him right now is the fact that he's in heat.
Could it be stress related? He's being kept from his sisters at the moment because he & his other siblings are still intact- It's not full-time or anything, just when I'm not able to keep an eye on them.

(I'm on the hunt for places to get them fixed that aren't going to ruin me financially- any suggestions would be awesome- I live in Ohio)

anyone have any idea what it could be/what I should do? I know to take him to the vet, of course, I just want to see if it's something that can be solved at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, so I think I may have overreacted when I posted this. I checked on Mimi throughout the night & the last time I checked, his fur didn't feel rough SO I think my hands may have just been clammy before- and as for the fur loss, I investigated and it seems like they're all shedding at the moment- and then as for the gums, I checked his again and they look totally normal.

the only issue I'm seeing now is he seems a little skinny, so I'm gonna give him his own separate wet food meals throughout the day to make sure he's eating!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad you think you figured out what might have been going on. However, Mimi feeling a bit skinny could either be from not eating enough - which hopefully can be corrected by you giving him more food, or it a sign of a health issue.

How old is Mimi? I take it he is fairly young since he is still intact. Hopefully, you can get that corrected in the near future. Have you checked low cost spay centers? You didn't say where in Ohio, so I couldn't look any up for you. But all you have to do is an internet search for low cost spay and neuter centers near you.

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad you think you figured out what might have been going on. However, Mimi feeling a bit skinny could either be from not eating enough - which hopefully can be corrected by you giving him more food, or it a sign of a health issue.

How old is Mimi? I take it he is fairly young since he is still intact. Hopefully, you can get that corrected in the near future. Have you checked low cost spay centers? You didn't say where in Ohio, so I couldn't look any up for you. But all you have to do is an internet search for low cost spay and neuter centers near you.
Mimi is about a year old (I'm not entirely sure, he was a stray), I found one place but it's about 40 minutes away from me & has a verryyy long waitlist unfortunately. The only other low-cost options I've seen are TNR's, but for those, I'd have to bring them in humane traps :/ and as for around where I am, Hamilton/Lebanon/Dayton is my general area- but anyways, I'll keep looking!!

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
Mimi is about a year old (I'm not entirely sure, he was a stray), I found one place but it's about 40 minutes away from me & has a verryyy long waitlist unfortunately. The only other low-cost options I've seen are TNR's, but for those, I'd have to bring them in humane traps :/ and as for around where I am, Hamilton/Lebanon/Dayton is my general area- but anyways, I'll keep looking!!
update! somehow I only just now found a local humane society that does spays & neuters for $25!! so, my babies will be fixed very soon!!!