Rip - My Lovely Oliver

olivermerijaan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am saying this with a very heavy heart. My baby Oliver died last week because of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. He was diagnosed on Jan 27th, 2017 on a caturday with HCM. I had called him to snuggle with me and he jumped from his tree but instead of coming to me, he jumped to the floor and vomited. He seemed restless after throwing up twice and the next thing I know, he couldn't use his hind legs and was in pain.

I immediately took him to the vet and after a lot of tests, they diagnosed him with this disease and gave him two options: euthanasia or treatment. I opted to fight and they gave me up to 6 months with medications so he was put on Plavix and Clopidogrel and if his heart rate went up, Furosemide. After two weeks, I moved 3 hours away from Indiana for a job and he came with me.

He was recovering and in 4 weeks, he seemed his usual self. He was playing, snuggling, jumping everywhere. I was happy seeing him and was hoping for a miracle. In the 6th week since his first blood clot, I came home early from work and he was extremely excited so he jumped on the chair and fell. I was very scared but thankfully he seemed fine.

5 days after this, he had a second blood clot (I think). I came home late on a Monday and he jumped from his cat tree to come greet me and I think due to excitement, his heart rate was elevated so he collapsed right in front of my eyes and started breathing very rapidly with very dilated pupils and within 30 seconds, lost his life :(

I am very distraught and can barely concentrate on anything. I feel extremely guilty because I had gone to the mall to get some gifts for my cousin and I came home an hour late. I have a pet cam installed and was monitoring Oliver every second and that day he came to the front door and was waiting for me around the time I usually come home and because I came home an hour later, he had gone back to his tree to sleep. I think jumping from that tree mixed with excitement on hearing me come home made his heart weaker. I blame myself for not coming home earlier when he was expecting me. I am so heartbroken :(

Please pray for him.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am saying this with a very heavy heart. My baby Oliver died last week because of saddle thrombus. He was fine and recovering after his first blood clot but I think the second time, he couldn't fight any longer. I came home and he jumped from his cat tree to come greet me and I think due to excitement, his heart rate was elevated so he collapsed right in front of my eyes and within 30 seconds lost his life :( I am very distraught and can barely concentrate on anything. I feel extremely guilty because I had gone to the mall to get some gifts for my cousin and I came home an hour late. I have a petcam installed and was monitoring Oliver every second and that day he came to the front door and was waiting for me around the time I come home and because I was late, I came home an hour later and he had gone back to his tree to sleep. I think jumping from that tree mixed with excitement on hearing me come home made his heart weaker. I blame myself for not coming home earlier when he was expecting me. I am so heartbroken :( Please pray for him.
This is horrible, I am so very sad this happened, but don't blame yourself, you had no idea this was going to happen to him, it is just the grief talking, you did all that you could for him, gave him a loving home, he loved you and you loved him, it just unfortunately was his time to go, but he is fine now, not sick just fine, it is you who are hurting and we understand.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivermerijaan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is horrible, I am so very sad this happened, but don't blame yourself, you had no idea this was going to happen to him, it is just the grief talking, you did all that you could for him, gave him a loving home, he loved you and you loved him, it just unfortunately was his time to go, but he is fine now, not sick just fine, it is you who are hurting and we understand.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:
Thank you :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I'll pray for him, and cry for him, he deserves no less. I think he was waiting for you to come home, he wanted to be with you one last time, to see the one he loved so much. Because of this bond, and the love that forged it, he will always be near you. He didn't want to cause you pain, he wants only happiness and joy for the rest of your life, because that is what love is, only wanting the best for the one we give our heart to. Love doesn't die, it is spiritual, so eternal. I hope you can use your precious memories of happier times to bring yourself comfort, and also know in your heart he fought a good fight, and he died exactly as he wanted, with your love surrounding him and in the home that had everything he held dear.
My heart goes out to you, I offer you my prayers and deepest condolences. Take care and be gentle on yourself, it is hard to travel that long road to healing. RIP precious Oliver. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep, you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Oliver, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I know that you are feeling guilty just now, and that is a very human thing. But I will tell you this...Oliver does not need my prayers. He is at the Rainbow Bridge, healthy and whole. The only mar on his happiness is your guilt and sorrow. You did NOT kill Oliver by being late. A disease killed Oliver, and your care and love gave him TWICE the amount of happy life than he was expected to have. His love abides with you now, and always will.

olivermerijaan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course I'll pray for him, and cry for him, he deserves no less. I think he was waiting for you to come home, he wanted to be with you one last time, to see the one he loved so much. Because of this bond, and the love that forged it, he will always be near you. He didn't want to cause you pain, he wants only happiness and joy for the rest of your life, because that is what love is, only wanting the best for the one we give our heart to. Love doesn't die, it is spiritual, so eternal. I hope you can use your precious memories of happier times to bring yourself comfort, and also know in your heart he fought a good fight, and he died exactly as he wanted, with your love surrounding him and in the home that had everything he held dear.
My heart goes out to you, I offer you my prayers and deepest condolences. Take care and be gentle on yourself, it is hard to travel that long road to healing. RIP precious Oliver. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep, you, until you meet again!
Thank you, I have tears in my eyes :'(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver didn't die because you were late, it was something that was coming and it was just a bad timing and you feel guilty for what happened.
But you would have felt even worse if he had died when you weren't home, so be glad that you arrived at the right time.
Oliver had the chance to say hello to you, and you had the time to say goodbye to him, this should be the best gift you both had.

RIP Oliver, you were very much loved, no doubt. Take care of your Mom now.

Hugs!

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you on your loss. Oliver really loved you and that says a lot about the loving relationship you shared. You don't have anything to blame yourself for as Oliver was a survivor and struggled valiantly to the very end. He obviously loved life and loved his life with you. Cherish the time you had together and feel blessed that you were given the opportunity to be his champion and caretaker. You are exactly what he needed and he knew it. He passed doing what he loved, being with you!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry about Oliver. You took such good care of him. :hugs: But it was his time. Please don't feel guilty, you couldn't have changed the outcome. RIP, little Oliver. :rbheart:

olivermerijaan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, it has been 2 weeks since he is gone but I still feel empty. I am trying to think of the positives but I miss him soooo much :( It is crazy how much it hurts. I still feel like he is right there, hiding somewhere. I hope the void I feel gets easier as time goes. Reading all your words helps me. Thank you!

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry about your loss of Oliver. Just remember that he lived longer because you cared excellently for him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you doing? I know the hurt lasts a long time, but time also helps to put things into perspective, and lets our hearts heal a little. Just wanted to let you know I think of you, as I do with so many hurting souls, may you be blessed for having such a loving heart.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say i am sorry for your loss of Oliver. Hopefully you are doing a bit better? Im sending you and Oliver both good thoughts and prayers!