Ringworm.

One_Mokena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 3-month-old kitten that we just adopted a couple of weeks ago from a shelter and just today I noticed that he had something on his nose and it looked like crust. I took an unscented baby wipe and just kept wiping it gently and all the fur came off of his nose and left this pink exposed area. It doesn't seem to bother him but I'm worried that it's ringworm. The vet's office doesn't even open until 8:00 a.m. Monday. I plan to call and get him seen, but I'm not sure what I need to do until then. Do I have to isolate him? How do I clean? With what?I don't know what to do. I have three small children and they touch everything and I really don't want a ringworm outbreak. Any help appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

One_Mokena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 3-month-old kitten that we just adopted a couple of weeks ago from a shelter and just today I noticed that he had something on his nose and it looked like crust. I took an unscented baby wipe and just kept wiping it gently and all the fur came off of his nose and left this pink exposed area. It doesn't seem to bother him but I'm worried that it's ringworm. The vet's office doesn't even open until 8:00 a.m. Monday. I plan to call and get him seen, but I'm not sure what I need to do until then. Do I have to isolate him? How do I clean? With what?I don't know what to do. I have three small children and they touch everything and I really don't want a ringworm outbreak. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's impossible to tell whether or not it's ringworm, but if it is, I'd imagine everyone has already been exposed. But not to worry too much as there are treatments for both humans and cats. If it isn't bothering the cat too much, it may not be what you suspect, however, I would definitely take him in first think Monday to get him checked. With Ringworm though, it takes a few days, sometimes several, for the test results to come back. Is there only the one spot? Usually it doesn't contain itself to just one spot.

In the meantime, here are some articles you can read, but maybe you should wait until you can confirm or deny

How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles

Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

One_Mokena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's impossible to tell whether or not it's ringworm, but if it is, I'd imagine everyone has already been exposed. But not to worry too much as there are treatments for both humans and cats. If it isn't bothering the cat too much, it may not be what you suspect, however, I would definitely take him in first think Monday to get him checked. With Ringworm though, it takes a few days, sometimes several, for the test results to come back. Is there only the one spot? Usually it doesn't contain itself to just one spot.

In the meantime, here are some articles you can read, but maybe you should wait until you can confirm or deny

How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles

Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups – TheCatSite Articles
Yes, it's just the one area on the side of his nose. We've had him a couple of weeks and I just noticed this yesterday. I thought it was a runny crusty eye from allergies or getting dust in his eye but when I wiped it, the crust as well as the hair came off. I just hate the idea of potentially isolating him. He hates being alone.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let's just hope it's not ringworm :crossfingers:. If it is, the easiest way to contain it would be to keep him in a bathroom or somewhere you can clean it easier than constantly cleaning your entire house, however, you will need to do that at least once if it is to get up all the spores that have dropped. That doesn't mean you can't visit him while he's in isolation. Of course you can, and should. But perhaps the kids shouldn't :frown:. But, again, first you need to find out what you're dealing with

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, what did the Vet say? Fingers crossed it's some other skin issue :crossfingers: