Ringworm help

tomato78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been dealing with ringworm in my now 8 month old female cat for almost 2 months now and was wondering if anyone has any advice!
I adopted my cat and a few months after adopted my second (a male, 7 months) who had a history of ringworm, but the shelter assured me he had two negative cultures and it would be fine to introduce to my first - but of course she got ringworm. She did 5 weeks of itrafungol and 2x weekly lime sulfur dips and her original spot of hair loss on her right ear grew completely back. Everything was looking up until right at week 5 a new spot of hair loss showed up on her left ear. I brought her in to the vet, and he did a PCR test which came back negative for ringworm, as well as being negative under the wood’s lamp (her first spot was positive under the lamp). However the spot looked very similar to the first one and since then she lost all the hair on her left ear (even more than on the first ear!). The only new addition to her treatment was applying Monistat to the new spot. The vet said to bring her back Monday and he would test for a bacterial infection and mites but he still doesn’t think it’s ringworm. My question is, is it likely for this to still be ringworm and just getting a false negative PCR? Can monistat cause hair loss on its own? Is there something else I should ask the vet to check for?
Attached is a photo after hair loss spread, and now it’s basically completely bald but I don’t have a good photo.
Thank you for any input in advance!!

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think it's too likely that it's ringworm since both the Woods Lamp AND the PCR are showing negative, AND since your Vet doesn't think it is. Monistat can cause hair loss, so it's possible that's what the issue is. I'm not really sure what questions you should ask your Vet on this since they are aware already of what is going on. Just because I'm curious,did your male cat ever present with ringworm again or did he remain free and clear?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tomato78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think it's too likely that it's ringworm since both the Woods Lamp AND the PCR are showing negative, AND since your Vet doesn't think it is. Monistat can cause hair loss, so it's possible that's what the issue is. I'm not really sure what questions you should ask your Vet on this since they are aware already of what is going on. Just because I'm curious,did your male cat ever present with ringworm again or did he remain free and clear?
Thank you so much!! He tested positive once on PCR, followed by a negative culture, PCR and wood’s lamp, and never showed any symptoms or had any hair loss at all. I’m going to get both of them tested once more just to be sure before I reintroduce them (as I’ve been isolating them separately).