Reverse Sneezing Fits

nottventures

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all. New here, so forgive me if I'm not posting in the correct place. I'm at my wit's end at this point.

My male kitten, Huxley, will be a year old at the beginning of October. I've had him since he was about 8-10 weeks old. He has always had fits of reverse sneezing. The fits seem unrelated to physical activity or environmental stimulation. He will have them during play, during rest, while eating, pretty much just whenever. Sometimes he will have several a day, sometimes none.

I've taken him to multiple different vets for this issue, and none of them can seem to figure out why this happens to him. They have all told me he's in outstanding health, his heart and lungs sound clear and healthy, and he is incredibly active and curious.

One vet acted like I was crazy and suggested that I am just seeing his Jacobson's organ at work. What he does is much different from a cat inhaling through the mouth to better catch scents. For one, it seems completely involuntary, and for another, he's definitely reverse sneezing and coughing a bit.

Another vet suggested that he may have been infected with the calicivirus in utero, and so may have constant, small outbreaks throughout his life. I'm skeptical of this because while he does get some eye boogers, his eyes certainly aren't runny or gummed up, his nose isn't running, he eats like a horse and lethargic would be the last word one would use to describe him.

No vet I've taken him to seems to think this is a big deal, and he doesn't seem very affected by it other than during the fits. They usually last for less than a minute or two. However, I've never known a cat to chronically do this, and I'm afraid that it may be due to an underlying cause that may suddenly worsen. I would rather know now and get him a management plan if that's the case, rather than doing nothing and suddenly having him take very ill or die. That would be completely awful.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Any advice on how I might get a vet to take this issue seriously? Any diagnostic tests I might specifically request that they do?

Thank you so much for any help or insight you might provide.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would Lysine help? Does he get brownish crusties in the corners of his eyes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nottventures

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does get some crusties, but not anything out of this world. They don't inhibit his vision or make him squint. He either cleans them off while grooming or I brush them away, and he's good to go. I might try lysine. I've heard conflicting things about it. I have a co-worker who swears by it, but have read veterinary articles that say it doesn't really do anything. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has the vet done an x-ray to check for asthma? I have a kitty diagnosed with asthma and she does this when the seasons change. Also, what about trying a daily antihistamine? Have you done that to see if drainage is causing the problem?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nottventures

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No x-rays, the vets didn't think it was necessary. Although, I guess they would have to do them of I requested it. I've been leaning toward thinking that it's asthma or some kind of allergy/irritation. I haven't tried any medication, as I wouldn't know what/how much to give and would want the vet to prescribe the correct dosage. I've watched videos of cats having asthma attacks, and that seems a lot closer to what he's doing. Less wheezing/gasping, though, it seems.

So maybe I should request that the vet do some x-rays and go from there? I think my biggest fear is that it's a heart issue, and that would definitely help to figure that out, one way or another.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's a handsome guy! We give my asthmatic who has mostly coughing and snotty symptoms a steroid injection about twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. That keeps her cough free for months. We'll probably have to do it again in October. So far, this has really helped her and we've not had to do the nebulizer treatments on her which would be torture for her because she HATES being confined.

Vazimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just letting everyone know that my cat who suddenly had chronic reverse and regular sneezing fits after getting some sort of gastric virus. Thousands and thousands of dollars later they biopsied his nose and found an infection that was best treated with Orbax. 5 days on it and his symptoms have almost completely gone- this is after MANY courses of other antibiotics, and vets who said it was just chronic rhinitis and nothing would help. I’m grateful to finally seem to have helped him! I hope this helps someone else whose cat has chronic reverse sneezing.

Androcles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just letting everyone know that my cat who suddenly had chronic reverse and regular sneezing fits after getting some sort of gastric virus. Thousands and thousands of dollars later they biopsied his nose and found an infection that was best treated with Orbax. 5 days on it and his symptoms have almost completely gone- this is after MANY courses of other antibiotics, and vets who said it was just chronic rhinitis and nothing would help. I’m grateful to finally seem to have helped him! I hope this helps someone else whose cat has chronic reverse sneezing.
Can I ask what your cats gastric symptoms were? My cat started vomiting clear liquid everywhere, then she had a fever, and now she has reverse sneezing and won't eat. The vet says that she has a virus and there's nothing they can do.

Vazimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can I ask what your cats gastric symptoms were? My cat started vomiting clear liquid everywhere, then she had a fever, and now she has reverse sneezing and won't eat. The vet says that she has a virus and there's nothing they can do.

Pretty much exactly those symptoms. We gave him fluids since he was throwing up, an anti nausea med, and remeron to trigger his appetite. It helped him get through the virus but obviously the sneezing remained.

Androcles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pretty much exactly those symptoms. We gave him fluids since he was throwing up, an anti nausea med, and remeron to trigger his appetite. It helped him get through the virus but obviously the sneezing remained.
Thank you! I'll get my cat checked for a similar infection.