Retractable Leashes For Cats?

mycatrory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is almost ready to start hiking with me. The only issue is that he hates that the leash restricts how far he's able to go, and it scares him when it stops him from moving, so I've been thinking about changing to a retractable leash. What do you guys think? Why or why not?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have a retractable, what I did was tie together several lengths of that somewhat stretchy rubbery cord that is intended to hold screen mesh in the slot that goes around the outside edge of a frame for a window or screen door. Being it's a little stretchy it isn't such an incredibly FIRM stop when he gets to the end of it. I have no idea, but I got to thinking that for a cat this slightly more gentle method of stopping would seem to work better - anyway, it did for my Big Guy. I can't say what he would have done had I used an inflexible strap to start with but I think, like yours, he wouldn't have been happy.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will be very similar to what furballsmom above just said. You might want to try attaching 2 or maybe 3 cat leashes together to give him more le-way. You can always roll any excess up around your hand if he is getting too far ahead of you. This way, he will have a little extra room to romp around a bit.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that a leash with some give is an excellent idea. I have a bungee leash, specifically the one that accompanies the “Come with Me Kitty” harness, and though we haven’t gone outside yet, it works well for the kittens. When practicing inside, if they take off running, instead of bringing them an abrupt stop, it slows them down a bit slower with the extra give. I’m sure you could find some longer versions of something similar, or create your own as mazie mazie and Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a very small retractable for Luna, but at some point the line is still going to stop and run out of lead. You'll still have the same problem, but you'll just have a longer leash.

But I do like the retractable.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have retractable leash (Flexi medium cord 16ft), never used anything else. Kitty likes it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where you will be going hiking, but if I were to take my cat hiking, I'd want her nearer to me rather than far. I'd want the option of more control over her and more awareness as to what she was up to or exploring, rather than less. And for me, I think that a long retractable leash could easily wrap around a cat's legs or even neck if I wasn't paying attention for a moment -- or if the cat was out of sight and I wasn't sure what the heck was going on or where exactly it was, I'd be wary of trying to retract the leash not knowing if the leash was entangled on the cat's limb or neck and would just get suddenly tighter for them, creating panic for the cat (and myself).

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I used a retractable 5-meter (16.4 foot) dog leash when I took our last cat for walks. You have to be very careful that the cat doesn't suddenly scale a fence or climb a tree, though. Those leashes don't retract quickly.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is almost ready to start hiking with me. The only issue is that he hates that the leash restricts how far he's able to go, and it scares him when it stops him from moving, so I've been thinking about changing to a retractable leash. What do you guys think? Why or why not?
I wouldn't. Cats are not dogs. They don't automatically do things by rote. They start and stop when THEY feel like it, not robotically on command. Personally, I would not take cats hiking, as most cats are far happier and healthier indoors only with a catio for their outside experience. That's what I feel and think.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought and returned a retractable one. The recoil was so powerful and so fast that I was afraid poor 8Lb Gypsy would be jerked off her feet and get hurt.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a retractable and it worked fine until the cat got scared and scaled a tree. Now I had a cat WAY up in a tree and the leash was wrapped around a branch. Make sure you bring a pocket knife along to cut the line if necessary. NOT FUN! Are you sure your cat is comfortable about being taken to strange places like that? My cats sure weren't. And the MANY times a dog or another animal scared them and they got out of their harness I was glad we were close to home and they could find their way back. All the luck!

sabycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I walk my kitty on a leash and i DO use a retractable. I can make it as short or as long as I want. My kitty is an experienced leash walker. See here.. in this 1st video he does not need too long of a lead, but in the 2nd video where he is a park, it comes in quite handy. Notice the difference in the 2 videos.. and also,

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I take Buddy with me hiking.
I use a 6' leash that I wish was longer.

Some of my thoughts:
I was thinking do I want to attach 2 leashes together to make a 12'.
Since I'm a backpacker who sleeps in a hammock and can make those fancy buries, fixed loops and such. Maybe get some amsteel and make a leash.
I was looking at the retractable leashes this evening. I like that they are 16' long. You can control how much you let out. I'm not sure I want to hold the retractor in my hand.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up a bungee leash but it kept getting caught in her kitty holster Velcro so I hooked her regular leash to the jacket and clipped the bungee to that. I really like the set up. When she ends up on the other side of weeds, branches etc..I can unclip and quickly grab it rather than trying to untangle. We test drove a different 'H' harness with the regular and bungee leash. We always take the walking stick in case we need to fend off any loose dogs.
New rig.jpg
Arts 3.jpg

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure. I'm thinking you might have used the walking stick on the cat.
That's not a bad idea about carrying one at all.

The bungee leash, is that from the from the come with me kitty harness set?
:fuming:ME!! USE ANYTHING TO HIT OUR GIRL!!??? :argh:I'm gonna sic @1CatOverTheLine on ya! :cloudy:

It's the 2nd photo right? Where she looks unconscious?
(I do use it to nudge stuff away from her if she tries to eat anything).
Yep. it's from the come with me kitty set. I won't use the harness. I read a horror story about them when I was first researching taking her outside with us. A ladys cat panicked and ran, the harness tightened so hard it locked up and she had a trapped terrified cat going crazy on the end of a leash.

Last edited:

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:fuming:ME!! USE ANYTHING TO HIT OUR GIRL!!??? :argh:I'm gonna sic @1CatOverTheLine on ya! :cloudy:

It's the 2nd photo right? Where she looks unconscious?
(I do use it to nudge stuff away from her if she tries to eat anything).
Yep. it's from the come with me kitty set. I won't use the harness. I read a horror story about them when I was first researching taking her outside with us. A ladys cat panicked and ran, the harness tightened so hard it locked up and she had a trapped terrified cat going crazy on the end of a leash.
Yep. I couldn't resist. I tried.... LOL :devilish:

That sound terrible with the CWMK harness.
I just got Buddy a new soft harness. Seems to fit well. Just have to get him out in it.

I may end up buying a retractable, and an additional 6' leash also.
See what I like best.

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did get a retractable leash.
I have been holding at home trying to decide if I like it or not.
This may be returned. I just don't think I want to hold / carry something with this bulk and weight.
retractable.jpg

The Amsteel came today. I got 1 - 25' piece of Amsteel.
I have cut it into 2 pieces. 1 piece at 10'6" and the other with what is left, 14'6".
I made the 10'6" piece first. I will end up with about a 9' leash. (Store bought 6' leash for comparison.)
leashes.jpg

I added some hosing where the loop to hold it will be to make it thicker and easier to hold. While I like the tubing feel. I dislike that I usually don't actually hold the leash and loop it around my wrist. The tubing does not allow the handle to compress around my wrist and will allow the leash to fall off the wrist.
tubing.jpg

I may be able to correct this by splitting the tubing in half, but if I do hold the leash it may not be as comfortable with the tubing split. I may be cutting the tubing completely off.

The mitten hooks I have are small and did not think they would work.
Tried using them to lift 55 pounds and it broke.
MittenHook.jpg

I have to wait till tomorrow to finish the leash when I get my swivel snap hooks. I hope they work. I've checked Lowe's, Home Depot, and a ma and pop hardware store and can only find the 3" swivel snap hooks. They are way too big for use on a cat.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I did get a retractable leash.
I have been holding at home trying to decide if I like it or not.
This may be returned. I just don't think I want to hold / carry something with this bulk and weight.
View attachment 217177

The Amsteel came today. I got 1 - 25' piece of Amsteel.
I have cut it into 2 pieces. 1 piece at 10'6" and the other with what is left, 14'6".
I made the 10'6" piece first. I will end up with about a 9' leash. (Store bought 6' leash for comparison.)
View attachment 217179

I added some hosing where the loop to hold it will be to make it thicker and easier to hold. While I like the tubing feel. I dislike that I usually don't actually hold the leash and loop it around my wrist. The tubing does not allow the handle to compress around my wrist and will allow the leash to fall off the wrist.
View attachment 217181

I may be able to correct this by splitting the tubing in half, but if I do hold the leash it may not be as comfortable with the tubing split. I may be cutting the tubing completely off.

The mitten hooks I have are small and did not think they would work.
Tried using them to lift 55 pounds and it broke.
View attachment 217184

I have to wait till tomorrow to finish the leash when I get my swivel snap hooks. I hope they work. I've checked Lowe's, Home Depot, and a ma and pop hardware store and can only find the 3" swivel snap hooks. They are way too big for use on a cat.
Try a farm & home supply type store for smaller swivel snaps. Maybe cutting the tubing into 1/4 or even 1/2 pieces all around the handle would let it collapse around your wrist. The retractable I bought and returned snapped back so fast and hard when not snapped onto anything that it bruised Scotts hand, too afraid to try on our girl, probably would have pulled her off her feet.

Last edited:

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try a farm & home supply type store for smaller swivel snaps. Maybe cutting the tubing into 1/4 or even 1/2 pieces all around the handle would let it collapse around your wrist. The retractable I bought and returned snapped back so fast and hard when not snapped onto anything that it bruised Scotts hand, too afraid to try on our girl, probably would have pulled her off her feet.
Thanks for the info.
The swivel snap hooks arrived today work perfect. Tested them to 55lbs, no problem.
Now after making the 2 leashes, I only have 8 left. LOL Not sure what I'll do with the extra...
CameraZOOM-20180203153640110.jpg

I used the 9' leash today on our hike. Not a bad length and still have the tubing on it trying to decide what to do with it.