Retardation Or Slow Growing

KatKrazy990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Around the end of june was when my boyfriend heard theres newborn kittens somplace on property. Towards the end of July i caught a kitten and towards the end of August I caught another one. In mid July we were told by animal control they caught the mother and put her down. It wasnt till we told them there are kittens in the picture they freaked out and figured they were ran over.

Question::
Both cats are possibly a month old. Vet appointment is September 12 but i want to know if i should ask them what they think it is. When i first saw (Blu) cats name, I saw it wobbling while it walked or ran. It's been 3 or 4 weeks and Blu is still running from ppl it knows, any movement scares it, it doesnt seem to reconized it's name, hides no matter what. Before we caught the kittens we have an adult female cat Blu trys to nurse the adult cat( shes fixed). Blu never leaves adult cats side. I have tried giving it momma milk to no avail. Could Blu have some retardation or could it be growing slower then normal?

I have been giving it solid foods, taught it to go in litter box, trying to love it but it bolts away. Thanks to all help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Animal Control killed the mother cat in mid-July and you caught the kittens in late July/early August, they weren't hers. Small kittens wouldn't be able to survive for 2 weeks without their mother.

How old do you think the kittens are now? Obviously they can't be a month old if you've had them for a month ;). Did they have teeth when you found them? Do you know how much they weigh? It's hard to say anything about Blu's development without knowing their age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatKrazy990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im jist going to wait till vet visit in 8 days. I know there from the same litter, i know they are a month old now. Just because animal control put mother down doesnt mean anything. Yes, they can only go a week without mom. But somehow someway they both survived.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're only a month old now, they wouldn't be eating much solid food yet, and certainly not when you found them. So they're probably around 2 months old? If born around the end of June that sounds about right.

Were they pretty starved and dehydrated when you found them?

Anyway, yes, the vet is the best source for information, because he can put his hands on them and see what kinds of behaviors they're showing. Let us know what the vet says! Kudos for taking care of these poor babies!