Results from an animal bite? Help!

CieraMyst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Mittens has a wound. She's an indoor/outdoor kitty. 9 years old. She's been eating and acting her usual self. At first it looked like a bald spot with a scraped, top layer of skin. Then the bald spot got bigger and it turned into four different scrapes with inflammation. When I looked at it today, there was a split down the middle with a hole in the center. I'm really worried it's not just a typical ulcer. Keep in mind this all progressed within three days. If anyone could tell me what it could be or give advice on what to do, I'd really appreciate it. I just lost two fur-babies recently and I don't think I can manage losing another one. I'm just worried. My family can't afford the vet right now. Is this treatable at home or is this an emergency vet trip? I've been keeping a cone on her and applied an antibacterial cream to the wound. Lots of pus and an icky smell.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The pus and icky smell would concern me that there could be active infection going on. When did you put the cone on? Is it possible there was one wound, and she scraped it with a back claw causing more scrapes to the skin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CieraMyst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put the cone on her yesterday when I realized she was licking at it (it's on her left shoulder). It's definitely possible she scratched at it but it looks incredibly raw now as if it's developing on its own.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't use anything topical, it will hold the infection in. You can try warm compressing the area by taking a warm wash cloth and running it under hot water and squeezing out the excess. By then it will have cooled enough to be warm and apply that to the wound. Do that for fifteen minutes a day three times a day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CieraMyst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't use anything topical, it will hold the infection in. You can try warm compressing the area by taking a warm wash cloth and running it under hot water and squeezing out the excess. By then it will have cooled enough to be warm and apply that to the wound. Do that for fifteen minutes a day three times a day
Okay I'll cease with the cream. I'll be taking her to the vet today and see if I can be put on a payment plan but I will warm compress the area in the meantime.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay I'll cease with the cream. I'll be taking her to the vet today and see if I can be put on a payment plan but I will warm compress the area in the meantime.
I hope the visit went well! What did the vet say?

Niclovesblueforever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it is a bite? It looks like a grub hole. It is a fly larvae that burrows inside. They usually have to pull it out .

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it is a bite? It looks like a grub hole. It is a fly larvae that burrows inside. They usually have to pull it out .
Bot flies those are called. Kabuto had them when I adopted him and I mistook it for cancer.

It looks more like an abscessed wound that has burst to me though. Abscesses get angry quite quickly.

Have it looked at though.