Resident Male Cat Possibly Adopting New Kitten

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had experience with their male resident cat taking in the new kitty as his own?

My boyfriend's cat, Kyle, is 1. He's very chill, quiet, and prefers his own space. Not especially affectionate, but will sleep next to my bf sometimes.
Pablo is a 5 month old rescue. Very affectionate, loves healthy play time with Kyle, but is very wary.

Bf and I spend about every weekend together, he brings Kyle or I bring Pablo.
Kyle met Pablo when bf first got him at about 2 months. Kyle was initially territorial and defensive the first night, but then just began following the cat around staying no less than 4 feet away from him. (Bf's former roommate had a wild Boxer puppy and we think Kyle was trying to protect him from the puppy.)

I think Kyle has decided to teach Pablo how to be a cat!
  • the cats seems to love play time. They play constantly! My clingy cat fights me to get down if I pick him up. He either goes to rough house with Kyle or chase him.
  • It seems like Kyle lets the kitty initiate play time? They quarrel until Kyle pins the kitty and he cries at his defeat and runs back for more! ALL DAY!! (It drives me wild.) Kyle is a big boy. He's about 17lb and the kitty is 4lb 9oz. and the kitty has never been hurt, Kyle has never used claws, Kyle never makes a peep! It's like he barely has to do anything to win. Seems like he's letting the kitty call the shots.. and Pablo is ALWAYS going back for more. He bops the cat on the head, snags his tail, BEAR HUGS HIS TORSO to try to bring him down and Kyle has NEVER reacted violently or snapped or hurt the kitten. (I stop the kitten from being too rough when I notice and during the first couple months I watched like a hawk to make sure both cats were not angry or hurt.) Is Kyle letting him call the shots? Could it be that he's letting him rough him up as a way to teach him hunt/attack skills? I thought for sure the chill cat would be annoyed with the kitty's antics and 24/7 desire to play, but Kyle obliges every time.
  • Kyle attempts to groom Pablo. Kitty is super combative, but Kyle doesn't react.
  • Kyle tries to nose boop the kitty.. at first the kitty was combative, but he is not anymore.
  • Kyle watches the kitten like a hawk.
  • Kyle will sleep about a foot away from Pablo wherever he is..
  • Last week, Kyle laid down right next to him and rested his head on the kitty's low back. Kitty woke up and tried to run and i told him, "it's okay baby, you're okay!" and he stayed.. tense.. and then eventually laid back down.
  • We put the kitten in another room for 5 minutes while we loaded groceries (so he wouldn't run outside) and he meowed the whole time and Kyle ran to the door and trilled back at him and put his paw under the door.
  • They share everything- I bring Pablo's litter box, food, food and water bowl, but they insist on sharing. Kyle shares his tower and cat hut, and Pablo shares his toys.

I've searched all over and I haven't read about this kind of behavior. I was initially concerned that Kyle was stalking him because he was trying to establish his place as alpha or to fight for his territory, but I think he's adopted the kitten as his own. As loving and gentle as Kyle is, the kitten is still on edge. He's still is defensive and combative so I'm wondering what we can do to help him understand Kyle isn't going to turn on him all of the sudden.

Anyways, have you had similar experiences? I'd love to hear about them and what to expect?
Thanks!
Bri

This is from the kitten's first visit- Kyle was super open to sleeping near the kitten.
IMG_2482.jpg

This is from last weekend.. Kyle tried to snuggle the kitten :)
fullsizeoutput_161a.jpeg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a neutered male cat that mom-ied 2 orphaned kittens from 2-3 weeks to a year or so. It gradually morphed to friendship. He let one kitten nurse off him, groomed them, taught them how to hunt, kept a watchful eye on them & played with them. So it does happen. Though it sounds more like they are friends & he is aware that Pablo is still a kitten so he is being gentle with him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I loved reading your post, it literally warmed my heart. :hearthrob: Consider yourself very fortunate that Kyle and Pablo get along so amazingly well. I'm sure you will look forward to Pablo growing up and see their relationship flourish even more. Thanks for posting your story. :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I loved reading your post, it literally warmed my heart. :hearthrob: Consider yourself very fortunate that Kyle and Pablo get along so amazingly well. I'm sure you will look forward to Pablo growing up and see their relationship flourish even more. Thanks for posting your story. :heartshape:
Aw thanks! I do like to share about the relationship between all of us because I feel like its especially unique and sweet. I mostly read about resident cats unhappy with new cats, so I thought I'd share!

I do look forward to Pablo growing because he is very defensive and on-edge and won't allow himself to get loved on by Kyle, but I think the best part will be seeing him realize he has an unconditional buddy who won't turn on him. It will add another dynamic to the relationship, I think!

Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a neutered male cat that mom-ied 2 orphaned kittens from 2-3 weeks to a year or so. It gradually morphed to friendship. He let one kitten nurse off him, groomed them, taught them how to hunt, kept a watchful eye on them & played with them. So it does happen. Though it sounds more like they are friends & he is aware that Pablo is still a kitten so he is being gentle with him.
How surprising! I love hearing this- very reassuring. I am surprised at how dialed-in Kyle was. He's only 1 himself without any other cat interaction, so I was surprised at how quickly he sprang into action.

Thanks for sharing!
Bri

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a great feel good post to read on a Friday evening. So many threads in this forum are from cat "parents" desperately looking for help.
So it was wonderful to click on your thread and see a happy story about 2 cats bonding. :catlove:
Thanks for posting. :heartshape: