Resident cat stalking and attacking new kitten

moony912

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone I would really appreciate any advice I’m feeling really worried about this situation

I have two cats aged 11 and 12 and I recently brought home a 13 week old kitten. I put the kitten in a spare bedroom, she has her food + water bowls, litter tray, cat tree, bed, toys etc everything she needs. I started by keeping the cats separated and scent swapping, I made sure that the introduction process was very slow. It’s now been a month and the cats have met for brief periods but it’s not going as well as I’d hoped.

When I introduced my older cats to each other 10 years ago, I remember the eldest hissing and growling but she was never aggressive. With this kitten they are both showing signs of aggression especially my 11 year old cat, who whenever the kitten turns her back she will stalk her with big black eyes and then swipe her. She also corners the kitten at any opportunity. Just now she did this and swiped her so hard the kitten went flying and looked terrified, my cat had her back arched (I’ve never seen her do that) I took my kitten straight back to her safe room. Thankfully she takes it all in her stride and doesn’t seem phased.

There have been times where it seems to be going well. Sometimes my cat will slow blink at the kitten and the hissing has got less unless she gets too close. Other times it’s just a nightmare and my kitten hates being alone and will meow the house down if she’s left alone in her safe room for longer than 10 seconds.

I really don’t know what to do… it’s stressful to see my adult cats who are so much bigger than the little one being aggressive :sniffle:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

2ShortTails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitten to a 2 yr old cat that lost his littermate brother. I've never seen two cats that were more bonded. The above video i used for the process. What i also incorporated was a cat tent i had for years into the mix. I wanted them exposed to one another all day once they were good with visual. The kitten wasn't stressed that he was in thd tent and my 2 year old could take the time he needed to adjust. It sounds like the process needs to be done slower for your adult cats. If you can afford a cat tent, mine was large enough for litter, food/water, a scratcher and toys. For my intro, it was a lifesaver. No one was stressed with visuals and my adult male could learn his new brother at his pace. We'd let the kitten out multiple times a day for play and cuddles and would put the adult cat in the back bedroom where the kitten stayed at night while doing so. Patience pays off. They now get along great even though my 2yr old sometimes has to remind his little brother not to play so rough. He's still a kitten afterall.

A tip a cat foster mom gave me was that if i had an older cat, is to get 2 kittens instead of one. This way, the two kittens will play with each other vs being a lot to take in for older cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the situation that's brought you here. Generally introducing a kitten to an older cat goes faster than introducing an adult cat, but there are always exceptions. And as has already been mentioned, cats aged 11 and 12 are older cats, so that can make it more difficult.

Things didn't sound too bad, until I read "swiped her so hard the kitten went flying and looked terrified" which definitely didn't sound good. So even though it's been a month, you probably need to take it more slowly and expect it to be a much longer process than you were expecting.

In addition to the 2 articles linked above, TCS also has this one specifically on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite which may be helpful.

With aggression from the adult cats towards the kitten, if the kitten runs and hides, then quickly returns for more "fun" then you don't need to be so concerned. The things to watch for are are fur flying, bloodshed, or the kitten really seeming scared, which yours was.

Although it seems pretty clear in your description, sometimes it's hard to distinguish between playing and fighting. The TCS article Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? | TheCatSite has pics and videos showing the difference, if you want to check it out.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, cats get worse at dealing with new pets as they age, so adding a kitten to two seniors is highly likely to be a major PITA. The seniors dont seem to attack with intent to kill or injure, which they could easily do, and its generally more stress on the seniors than any actual risk to the kitten. The charging and swatting means something like "Leave I dont want you here" rather than "I'm going to kill you." So sometimes I recommend letting them work through it. That said, once in a while they are so intensely vigorous with the charging and swatting that its just impossible to recommend letting them work through it . . . and it seems like unfortunately your there. So yep, backup and use the guides.

It might well still be a PITA after a thorough process. Ultimately, they may still have to work through stuff. But at least you'll do what you can before you get there.

Syenite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Signed up to ask about the same issue.
just brought home a 3m kitten, and our 8m kitten is stalking, mounting, and biting on the neck. They’ve been separated and slowly introduced, we’re on day 6. They both cry when they’re separated, but can’t be alone unmonitored.

They are content to eat together and do ok with limited play until the stalking begins. The baby seems to keep coming back for more, but squeals then hides when he’s bit. Are they doing ok? Is this something I just need to let them “work out”?

My main concern is I’m going out of town for the weekend in 3 weeks. Will they be ok to be alone together by then?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Signed up to ask about the same issue.
just brought home a 3m kitten, and our 8m kitten is stalking, mounting, and biting on the neck. They’ve been separated and slowly introduced, we’re on day 6. They both cry when they’re separated, but can’t be alone unmonitored.

They are content to eat together and do ok with limited play until the stalking begins. The baby seems to keep coming back for more, but squeals then hides when he’s bit. Are they doing ok? Is this something I just need to let them “work out”?

My main concern is I’m going out of town for the weekend in 3 weeks. Will they be ok to be alone together by then?
Totally different thing because of the ages. That is rough play, not stress related hostility as in the OP, which will become more equal over time. Its like younger human bro cries for mom when older brother gives him a head noogie. But wants to play again a few minutes later. It is what it is, yes you can let them work it out. Will improve with time, more equal friendship eventually guarantied, and they are friends of a sort already.

Syenite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Totally different thing because of the ages. That is rough play, not stress related hostility as in the OP, which will become more equal over time. Its like younger human bro cries for mom when older brother gives him a head noogie. But wants to play again a few minutes later. It is what it is, yes you can let them work it out. Will improve with time, more equal friendship eventually guarantied, and they are friends of a sort already.
Thanks so much for your reply, that’s really comforting.

Should I continue to break it up when the little one squeals? Not sure if I’m overreacting when he’s crying or if I’m discouraging play.

How much time do you think they need to acclimate to each other before they can both be out at night, or alone together for the weekend? Or are there indicators I can look for?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply, that’s really comforting.

Should I continue to break it up when the little one squeals? Not sure if I’m overreacting when he’s crying or if I’m discouraging play.

How much time do you think they need to acclimate to each other before they can both be out at night, or alone together for the weekend? Or are there indicators I can look for?
If your around and the kitten seems miserable/unable to disengage on its own, its fine to gently break it up, but you don't need to view it as your job. You can trust the kitten. If the kittens come back out in a couple of minutes after getting whumped, crying out/running away, and initiates play sometimes, that is the kitten telling you everything is ok. Its when the kitten seems afraid of the older one more generally, even when rough play is not actively going on, that you have an issue. If the kitten is telling you its all good, then I'd let them be together 24/7, will speed up improvement. And the kitten is already getting a net benefit, just like little human bro, even though big human bro is a jerk with the head noogies.

Syenite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your around and the kitten seems miserable/unable to disengage on its own, its fine to gently break it up, but you don't need to view it as your job. You can trust the kitten. If the kittens come back out in a couple of minutes after getting whumped, crying out/running away, and initiates play sometimes, that is the kitten telling you everything is ok. Its when the kitten seems afraid of the older one more generally, even when rough play is not actively going on, that you have an issue. If the kitten is telling you its all good, then I'd let them be together 24/7, will speed up improvement. And the kitten is already getting a net benefit, just like little human bro, even though big human bro is a jerk with the head noogies.
Ok, thanks. I’ll give them a little more leeway. They seem to be making daily progress, I’m just so exhausted and looking for the light at the end of the tunnel 😮💨. I also want my sweet older kitten back, he’s so perfect and the reason we wanted a second, but I miss his sweet cuddles and hate to think I’m making his life miserable.

The kitten will seem fearful/jumpy every now and then when the older one is stalking, but not all the time. I’m also wary of him developing some trauma and it never working out. I had no idea how hard this would be!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S Syenite : Hello and welcome to TCS. I agree with A ArtNJ that your situation is really quite different from the OPs situation. Your cats are both kittens, so I think what you're seeing is play fighting, even when the younger kitten appears a bit scared. Curious though, is the 8 month old neutered yet? If not, you might want to talk to your vet about getting that done, just to ensure he doesn't develop any territorial aggression, spraying, etc.

BTW, if you feel you want additional replies pertaining to your situation, it probably would be best to start your own thread. How To Create A New Thread - TheCatSite

Syenite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
S Syenite : Hello and welcome to TCS. I agree with A ArtNJ that your situation is really quite different from the OPs situation. Your cats are both kittens, so I think what you're seeing is play fighting, even when the younger kitten appears a bit scared. Curious though, is the 8 month old neutered yet? If not, you might want to talk to your vet about getting that done, just to ensure he doesn't develop any territorial aggression, spraying, etc.

BTW, if you feel you want additional replies pertaining to your situation, it probably would be best to start your own thread. How To Create A New Thread - TheCatSite
Thanks for your reply! I would have started my own thread, but would have felt a bit silly as it would have had the same title. I see now though it’s a different situation.

The 8m is neutered, we just need to wait another month on the 3m old, but will do him as well. I’d wondered if his hormones weren’t part of the problem, but it seems unlikely.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The 8m is neutered, we just need to wait another month on the 3m old, but will do him as well. I’d wondered if his hormones weren’t part of the problem, but it seems unlikely.
It can take a bit of time for the hormones to be gone, so it's possible they're partly to blame. But more likely just older bigger kitten versus younger smaller kitten antics. Just keep an eye on them, the 3 weeks before you go away, just to be confident that neither of them are getting stressed. Signs would be the younger kitten hiding from the older one, or the older one developing litter box issues, spraying etc. But again I think they'll be fine. Here's a TCS article on stress, though, in case want to check it out. M moony912 this may be helpful for you too.
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles