Resident cat not eating

StellaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I have a 1yr old spayed female and just adopted a 2 month old neutered male. I got him 6 days ago and right away they wanted to meet. I kept him in a separate room but they were both relentless on the outside of the door. They met and after a few hissed, were chasing around and by day 3, she was grooming him. On that same night she threw up.(I figured from playing) by monday she threw up again and didn't go to washroom at all nor eat or drink. She then vomited bile a few more times and took her to emerg. They did xrays and bloodwork to eliminate obstruction and disease, all were clear. They just gave her some anti vomit injection and we went home. She ate a few small bite of wet food that night and went to the washroom, which was diarrhea. Next day still not eating but would have 1 churu and I've been syringe feeding her water to keep her hydrated. Today (Wednesday) she is still not eating or drinking and lethargic. I took her in again and they gave her fluids and cerenia. I also have some mirataz and antibiotics but she still seems the same and is hiding under my bed. (I have separated the kitten to a room as I'm going to do a reintroduction).
I should mention as well she is a FIP survivor and passed observation in September. It was wet fip so I've been worried it's that but she doesn't have a fever or bloated belly. Her bloodwork also doesn't show any signs. Is this an extreme case of stress or could she have picked something up from the kitten? The kitten has been dewormed and cleared of any illness.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StellaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, she doesn't show signs of upper respiratory unless her symptoms can be that but there no runny eyes, nose or sneezing. Her breathing is all fine. Maybe it's severe stress from the new cat? They are separated now but not sure how long it will take for her to feel "normal" again. I'm extremely worried this could cause her FIP to come back

StellaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her symptoms don't look the same as the URI but could they be without the mouth sores and runny eyes?
Yes it can be a Uri without those symptoms.

To be ill with something, (and this is applicable to cats as well as other creatures including humans) you don't need to have all the symptoms. The list of symptoms tells you the things that are common to that illness and some of those symptoms may only be present in more serious illness.

StellaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it can be a Uri without those symptoms.

To be ill with something, (and this is applicable to cats as well as other creatures including humans) you don't need to have all the symptoms. The list of symptoms tells you the things that are common to that illness and some of those symptoms may only be present in more serious illness.
Ok this is good to know Thank you. She's seen the vet twice and they never mentioned this as an option. Her vet is calling me today so I will bring it up and see if they can give meds for this.

StellaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok this is good to know Thank you. She's seen the vet twice and they never mentioned this as an option. Her vet is calling me today so I will bring it up and see if they can give meds for this.
Update- she got some fluids in her along with antibiotics for gi and cerenia. She is now eating. Drinking and playing normally. I have not let the kitten out of the separate room yet as I fear she could get sick again. Taking it slow but they have played with a wand toy under the door with each other. If I were to let them meet within the weekend, is that enough time for the kitten to have shed off anything he may been carrying? I just don't want her to get sick again.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My understanding of illness is that generally they cannot get the same strain of illness twice. Now that doesn't mean the illness hasn't mutated and she could catch it again, in which case I would say you'd have to refer to the article and that would be 3 weeks of quarantine time. That is, if you're asking if the kitten will get ill from your adult cat. She shouldn't be able to catch the bacterial infection because your cats been on antibiotics for over 48 hours.

virus

StellaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. Hopefully neither of them get sick from this point on